~ Chapter 20 ~

There I was, standing by the entrance of a bank that was currently being robbed. Because the method of entry included breaking down the tempered glass with some sort of explosion, I was standing with glass littered around my feet. Why the robber decided to set an explosion was beyond me. Usually, robbers were a bit smarter and knew that sound attracted attention, like mine, especially if the noise sounded like something detonated. But who's to judge?

Police would be here in minutes, anyways, but I decided to greet the perpetrator and try to keep him from running away in the meantime.

I moved a step forward and the bottom of my soles crushed the glass. I glanced up to see if the figure in the vault turned around to find out what caused the noise, but they continued stuffing money in a duffel bag.  I was grateful for the bad lighting as well. Even if he had turned around, he would have had to take a closer look to spot me, unless he pointed that big flashlight currently sitting on the table at me. I, on the other hand, had the advantage of enhanced sight, meaning I could see fine. He finished up, gripped the handles of the duffel bag and took his flashlight, and hurried out of the vault, his horse mask bobbing up and down with every step.

As he finally caught sight of me leaning on the wall with my arms crossed, I announced, "I don't think what you're doing is legal, buddy."

As soon as the words left my mouth, he let out a grunt of surprise, dropping the duffel bag full of money to the ground. He then grabbed a black object on his belt and pointed at me.

Uh oh. It was a gun that I hadn't seen before. In my defense, his coat had covered it.

"Woah. Woah. Calm down." I lifted a hand to web his gun away, but he pulled the trigger. Luckily with my sight, I could see the desks around the room. I dove behind the nearest desk and waited for him to go through his round, crawling on the floor. Each bullet hit the wooden desk, sending shredded wood and splinters everywhere. Well, that escalated quickly. At least the bad lighting didn't allow him to see clearly, the only real source of light being his flashlight and the moonlight. I continued scooching forward with my stomach on the ground, trying to avoid the bullets.

As soon as he ran out of bullets and had to reload, I jumped out of my hiding space and sent a web at his gun. When it attached, I pulled back sharply, causing the gun to fly out of his hands into mine.

"Ew." Holding the gun's grip with my thumb and pointer finger, I placed it on the table. "Now that's much better." While I had been dealing with the gun, he decided to sprint off with the duffel bag in his hand.

"Great." I sighed, groaning. "Don't I ever get a break?" I asked myself before running after him. He sprinted on the sidewalk, trying to get away from me. Within a couple of seconds, I caught up to him. I shot a web at his legs, causing him to trip and fall on the sidewalk.

"Ow! Let me go!" He yelled through the horse mask, trying to rip the webs off his legs. I sent another two webs that covered his body to stop him.

I opened my mouth to tell him that I wasn't going to let him go, and we would wait here until the police arrived, but my phone started ringing. I pulled it out of my pocket and glanced at the screen. Ned was calling me. I should really mute my ringtone when I was out and about. If Ned would have called me a minute ago, he would have revealed me to the horse guy.

I looked at the horse guy, holding a finger up. "One second. This is important." I swiped to answer the call, turning away from the horse guy. "Yeah, what's up?"

Ned said, "Hey Peter. It's almost twelve. Are you almost done patrolling? We've got to wake up early for school tomorrow."

I glanced back at the still struggling horse guy. "I guess I could come back now. Let me finish this up, and I'll be there, okay?"