~ Chapter 8 ~

"Mr. Delmar, I'm really sorry about being late," I apologized, my eyes downcast.

Mr. Delmar stood in front of me with his white apron on and hands on his hips. "You can't always be late, Peter. It happens too often."

"I know, and I'm really sorry. Please, just one more chance. One more chance," I pleaded. I couldn't lose this job. Not with how Aunt May only got enough money for the rent. We needed to pay a couple of other bills and food.

Mr. Delmar sighed. "Fine, but one more time Peter, one more time, and I'll have to fire you." Relief shone through my face as my shoulders dropped with the loss of tension.

"Thank you, thank you so much! You won't regret it, I promise!" I smiled at him.

He rolled his eyes. "Yeah yeah yeah. Go on now." I grabbed an apron and pulled it on, trying it in the back. For the next couple of hours, I swerved people the best sandwich in Queens. I didn't mind the job, but I couldn't lie and say that I wasn't tired. I needed to rest, just like Mr. Stark had told me, but I had to push it off. I needed money more than rest, and I definitely needed to be Spider-man more than rest. I was here on earth not for myself, but to help others. Otherwise, if I wasn't Spider-man, and knowing I could do something to help others but choose not to do it, the guilt would kill me.

Finishing up my work, I bid Mr. Delmar goodnight, slung my backpack that I had picked up after the incident on my shoulders, and ran off. I found an alleyway and quickly stripped, throwing my clothes to the side before scaling the building to the top.

I let out a content sigh as my legs dangled off the building, and I could look at the rest of the city New York, my home. The lights made it look like a Christmas day paradise, the people bustling around in the streets made me feel like part of something, and the buildings that rose from the earth were like a playground to me. I didn't want to be anywhere but here in New York city. Despite the honks that filled the streets and the loud chatter, it gave me peace and comfort. Well, it did until I heard a loud, inhuman growl. I tilted my head to the side while climbing back up to my feet, trying to hear it again, so I would know which direction to head to.

And indeed it growled again, causing me to swing off into that direction. I landed in an alleyway not too far from where I had been. The sight in front of me caused me to frown. The growl actually did come from a human, a man, to be exact. Weirdly, he was sweating profusely. He had pulled off his shirt, showing his back that looked like he had dunked into a pool of water. Sweat dripped down him, wetting the ground he was standing on. His breathing was labored. It was as if he had run ten miles.

Another growl emitted from his throat, but then, surprisingly, it turned into a laugh.

Finally noticing my presence, he turned towards me and smiled. "This is the greatest thing in my life." His left eye twitched like a defective lamp as he gazed down at me.

"Are you okay, sir?" I looked at him warily.

"Okay?" He barked out an additional laugh. "Okay? I've never been better. Ha ha ha ha!" And off he went into a laughing fit. "Everything's so beautiful, don't you see?" He reached forward, touching a dumpster. He looked at his fingers with awe as he caressed the dirty metal.

"Um... That's a dumpster, sir," I informed him of what he was touching.

He cocked his head at me. "A dumpster? Oh no, you are wrong. It's sparkly... just like lasagna." His focus turned back to the dumpster.

"Lasagna...?" I repeated, my eyes narrowing in confusion.

He glanced back at me again, but this time, he stumbled back in fear. Pointing a shaky finger at me, he trembled. "You! You're the guy who killed my best buddy two years ago! You got away with it too!" He grabbed a discarded metal pole off the floor.