Chapter 10: V.A.S.E.

There were a hundred questions on Dawn's mind as she walked alongside Sky and the others. Most pressing, was why exactly they were walking towards the St. Verina Academy entrance. Aside from the fact that it was nearly 10:00 P.M. and the gates were closed shut, she felt as though a hospital or police station would make the most sense after such an ordeal. But nonetheless, Dawn decided to remain shut and follow their lead. After they had just saved her life, she figured there was no reason not to trust them.

Once they arrived at the gate, it slowly began to slide open allowing them to pass through. Sky speedily passed through prompting the others lagging behind to hurry in as well. He rushed up the steps of the main building and pounded on the glass doors. Moments later, to Dawn's surprise, a teacher whom she was very familiar with approached from indoors. It was none other than her history teacher, Dr. Price. Dressed in his usual turtleneck and suit, Price wore a warm smile on his face as he opened the doors. The moment was all too surreal.

"Come, come!" said Price as he waved his hands. They immediately entered the building and he shut the doors behind them. After making it inside they followed Price down the dark halls of the school and up the stairs. "I assume you weren't able to collect?"

"No," said Sky.

"Ah, well. It's not a problem," said Price. "The important thing is that you're all safe. It seems to be getting increasingly dangerous out there."

"We'll deal."

"I know how determined you are, really. But you needn't push yourselves. Eventually we will have to scale back our efforts. Anyhow, Dawn, forgive me. I know this must be incredibly troubling for you."

"Oh, um, yeah," stumbled Dawn. "I'm just really confused like you said...and tired."

"Not to worry. I'll see to it that you're taken care of and then we'll reveal everything to you. Since as it is, you've already caught onto our secrets!" Price chuckled to himself hysterically while everyone else rolled their eyes.

"Just ignore him," said Aria. "He has the dumbest sense of humor."

Dawn shared a brief laugh with the group before they soon arrived outside one of the club meeting rooms. A large, well-lit room with sliding metal doors, the sign outside the door read: V.A.S.E. Upon entering, it looked almost as if it were a laboratory of sorts. Located in the left corner of the room was a large desk with multiple reclining chairs, above which were six computer monitors each displaying a different screen. In the right corner just beside the doorway, was another desk with several more computers, along with a printer, router, and some type of radar. Centered in the room was a rectangular meeting table, which had been scattered with various folders, papers, and technological devices.

On the other side of the room, to the left of the table, was a counter which extended the full length of the wall. Above the counter were a row of cupboards, filled with supplies that seemed typical of a science class, such as beakers and funnels. At the end of the long counter was an open doorway that lead to another room. As everyone gathered inside, the woman who had been driving the vehicle kindly lead Dawn to the back.

"Is she okay?" asked Price.

"She suffered several wounds," said the woman. "I'm Ellie by the way. I work here as a nurse. I'll get you bandaged up in no time, Dawn."

"Sure," said Dawn. "Thank you so much."

She followed Ellie through the doorway and into a smaller room on the other end. What she found stunned her. On top of a bed in what appeared to be a doctor's office–was Crystal–asleep under a blanket. Dawn rushed to her side and stood over her, gently touching her shoulder.