Chapter 12: Underneath It All

Dawn came into school on Tuesday with an uncharacteristically business-like approach, paying little attention to her classes and, instead, focusing on her meeting with Rain. Admittedly, she was somewhat nervous and anxious about how things would unfold. 

The previous night she had a number of dreams, or nightmares, depicting Rain as the same horrifying creature she encountered in the forest. But regardless, she was determined not to let these fears and feelings discourage her from uncovering the truth. Dawn was going to obtain the answers that she sought if it was the last thing she did.

Opting to skip her final class of the day, Dawn instead went into the V.A.S.E. meeting room to get assistance from Ellie on how to use the wristwatch. She decided that it would be best to scan Rain first, rather than ask him outright and risk sounding like a lunatic. If it indeed indicated that he was anything other than human, then she would press him for answers. 

At 2:30, Rain walked to the front of the school gates, where Dawn had requested he meet her via text. As he approached, Dawn took several deep breaths to calm her nerves. Wearing his usual seductive gaze, he smiled at her warmly.

"Hello Dawn. Why weren't you in class? I was worried I might not see you today."

"I had a meeting. But, listen...I want you to go somewhere with me. There's something I need to know."

Rain nodded. "Lead the way."

Dawn obliged and walked off campus with Rain to the nearby cathedral on the hilltop overlooking the town. A quiet and peaceful place, it never seemed to have many people around. She figured it might be interesting to see how Rain responded to being in a church, if he was indeed a demon. 

During the short walk over, Dawn did not speak a word as she considered how to approach the subject. Rain was patient as ever, almost seeming to know that Dawn was up to something. They soon entered the nearly empty cathedral before making their way upstairs to the roof. Once atop, Dawn looked over the railing before turning around and facing Rain, who stood with his hands in his pockets, curiously gazing at her.

"I don't know what to say," said Dawn. "There's so much."

Rain stepped forward and took hold of both her hands. His touch was ice cold as always, only adding to the pressure that built in her mind.

"You're so tense, when you don't need to be. It's okay. You can talk to me about anything."

"Where do we stand?" asked Dawn. "If we're going to be together, I need to know."

"You're a very special person to me, Dawn," he said. "I know there are times when you don't feel that way, but I like you a lot and I have for a quite some time."

"Be honest with me then," she said. "Do you know what happened with me in the forest over the weekend?"

"No," said Rain. "I was out of town, remember?"

"I know, it's just..." Dawn glanced down at her wristwatch, which was preset. She was surprised to see that nothing came up, even when aimed in his direction. She slightly adjusted it, to make sure it was working correctly.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

"It's nothing," said Dawn. It had indeed been working just fine. It seemed there was nothing to suspect. But she was determined to be absolutely, positively certain. Relying on a piece of faulty technology was simply not enough. Dawn then looked to her sides and slowly began walking backwards. Rain stood before her, perplexed at her unusual behavior. Seconds later, Dawn's back was pressed against the short, metal railings of the rooftop.