Chapter 25: All Falls Down

Rain walked the long, dark corridors of his castle in the early morning hours, until he arrived at long flight of stairs leading upward. Proceeding up the narrow stairway, he soon reached a small doorway in which there had been a slim opening. He extended his hand, pushing open the creaking wooden doors and revealing a dark loft, illuminated only by a circle of candles spread across the floor.

Approaching the center of the room, Rain's fierce yellow eyes began to glow as he scanned the darkness to see Malik sitting with his legs crossed within the circle, which he now realized was actually pentagram. Rain silently stepped backwards, moving to the corner of the room and observing the ritual taking place before him. Deep in focus as he sat quietly in seance, Malik had not seen him. As he watched Malik, Rain smirked to himself and folded his arms.

"Lord Kiros." Malik closed his eyes and dropped his head backwards. "Heed my words, my prayer. We offer you the souls of those departed from this desolate world. Please accept our sacrifice, as we so graciously submit to thee, and bestow upon us the power– "

"What do you think you're doing?" Rain emerged from the shadows.

Malik sighed deeply, before slowly turning around to face Rain. "I sensed your presence from the moment you walked in. I had hoped you would allow me to finish."

"That won't be necessary. I don't recall asking anyone to make contact with the overlords."

"Forgive me," said Malik as he stood to his feet. "I was simply executing the task for which we, as espers, are responsible. I'm aware you have been preoccupied as of late."

"I appreciate it," said Rain as he stepped closer to Malik. "But as I've said before, our duties in this world have changed. If we need intervention from below, then I will be the one to summon them."

"Very well. I hope they don't grow tired of our trivial business with the humans. Though I understand your position, I worry about their displeasure regarding the continued slaughter of our demon brethren."

"I can't imagine why they would be concerned with matters they know nothing about. Unless, you're telling me they are aware of something. Which, of course, would mean someone here has been contacting them against my authority."

"Not at all." Malik scowled. "Perhaps I was worrying needlessly, Master."

Rain nodded. "I hope so. In any case, we have other priorities at the moment. Axel has once again escaped, as you know. We'll need everyone working to track him down. I fear this time he may truly be out of control. There's no telling what he'll do anymore."

"I see. Then I shall assist Victor in expanding our search efforts. Please excuse me."

Malik waved his hands and, in a singular motion, immediately put out the candle lights. He then walked out of the room and vanished from the castle the moment he reached the end of the staircase. Rain shook his head and proceeded back down the stairs, when Roxanne suddenly appeared behind him. She slowly moved behind his back and slid her hands up to his shoulders, gently caressing them.

"What do you want, Roxanne?" asked Rain, annoyed. "You should be out with the others."

"I heard your conversation with Malik," she said. "He had a point. What do you intend to do with Axel when you find him? You're treading a dangerous line if you do something rash."

"I'm perfectly aware of that."

Roxanne sighed. "I only ask because I care for you, Master Rain. But sometimes, I honestly pity you."