Chapter 11: Revelations

Dawn had spent all of Sunday trying to get into contact with Sky to no avail. She hardly slept for a moment the previous night, so it was no surprise when she dragged herself to school the next morning having barely tended to her appearance. There were a million questions on her mind and after waking up with the realization that what occurred in the forest wasn't a dream, she was determined to get answers.

It annoyed her even more that Price basically dodged every question during the ride home. Instead, he kept insisting that she focus on her studies for the time being. With everything that was going on who cared about homework? There were so many other things to worry about. And as she approached the school courtyard, she was reminded of one such thing as a smiling Rain approached her.

"Rain what are you doing here?"

"You sound surprised," he said. "Something came up, so I had to return early."

"I see," she said. "You could've told me."

"Dawn. You have something on your mind. I can tell."

"Huh?" she uttered. "N-no it's just...I was surprised to see you like you said. Anyway, I have to catch up on some homework."

Rain gazed at her with his intense, deep stare. She loved his eyes, but couldn't help but feel awkward and vulnerable in moments like these. He always exuded a certain nonchalance and tactfulness, but with an underlying arrogance. It was although nothing fazed him because he always felt in control of the situation. Like he could see right through her. And it annoyed her to no end. Partially because she could never read him in that way.

"I'll let you get to that homework then." Rain placed his hands in his pockets and strolled off.

"Wait, Rain. Will you be in class later today? Or maybe I can meet you after school?"

He nodded firmly. "Sure. Just don't go wandering off."

Dawn smiled to herself as he walked back through the courtyard gate and they parted ways. Just then as she paused to think, it hit her. Wandering off? What could Rain have meant by that? It didn't make much sense. Of course, it could have simply been his usual way of toying with her, but it sounded as though he knew about her forest escapades. That just couldn't be possible. The only people who knew that she had gone into the forest were Sky, Aria, Warren, Ellie, and Price. And as V.A.S.E. members, they're committed to keeping the secret. But unless she was overthinking things, Dawn felt that Rain knew something.

When she turned back around to head in his direction, a number of incoming students began to fill the courtyard. Among the crowd was Josie and Zach who excitedly waved her down. Dawn sighed and waved back. Although she enjoyed their company, Dawn had so much more on her mind that she wanted to sort out. Nonetheless, she joined them for a chat session of gossip and school rumors before the bell for class rang. During first period in history class, Price went on with his lectures as normal, gushing about his favorite of historical battles and repeatedly veering off-topic to discuss his personal life. Meanwhile Sky, likely still disappointed with her decision, paid Dawn no attention at all.

Once class ended, Price tapped Dawn on her way out of the room and pulled her aside, requesting that she meet with V.A.S.E. after school for an hour-long meeting to which she agreed. The day went on as normal otherwise, but throughout each of her classes, all Dawn could think about were the events of the past forty-eight hours and what connection Rain's "wandering" remark had to them. 

She couldn't put her finger on it, but there was something strange about when she met Rain this morning. And so, once her sixth period class with Ms. Jackson concluded, Dawn went to speak with Rain. Surrounding his desk were a circle of three other girls whose skirts seemed to be curiously higher than normal.