Chapter 17: Homecoming

"This, I cannot excuse." Rain peered outside the single, compact window of the empty basement cell, where he stood before a dejected Axel.

"Forgive me, master," said Axel. "I try every day to fight the urge to kill. But the desire for souls...it's overwhelming."

"Overwhelming?" asked Rain. "It is something each of us has had to go through. To live among humans, we as espers must be masters of self-restraint. I understand it is difficult. And that it takes time. But to murder three innocent people in such a way. And to use your abilities to ignite the establishment into flames? That goes far beyond a lack of discipline. That is pure, malevolent savagery."

"Master, I beg of you. Just give me one more chance. I returned here after my crime, submitting to your will, because I want to change."

"Doubtful. The fact that the young ones are able to control themselves while you, an esper of sixty years, cannot, tells me you don't deserve another chance. You've failed me for the last time."

Rain turned around and walked outside of the cell, leaving Axel on his knees, hanging his head down. He slowly closed the large, steel door shut and locked it with a key. He sighed and began to walk away, when Axel stood to his feet.

"You said you loved me like a brother, didn't you?" he asked. "I've tried my hardest and given my all for the sake of this brotherhood. When is it enough, Rain? Why are we ignoring the gifts we were given at birth? For what!?"

"That's precisely why I can't let you go," said Rain. "This idea of yours and Malik's­–that being half-demon is some sort of blessing. It's a fallacy. The sooner you realize and accept that, the sooner you can leave."

Rain disregarded the outburst from Axel, simply shaking his head in disappointment as he made his way down the corridor. Once he made his way atop the staircase, Rain gently closed the door and looked up to see Elizabeth patiently waiting. She informed him that dinner had been prepared and the rest of the espers had arrived at the manor. Rain thanked her as the two walked back to the main hall together.

***

Dawn sat anxiously in the passenger's seat of Rain's car, awaiting his return while he made last minute preparations for dinner. Parked just above the flood plain, an area that was typically empty that time of the day, he left the car running and the radio on. It was during this time that she frantically brushed up her appearance, frequently looking in the mirrors and adjusting parts of her outfit. 

She wore a low-cut, tight black dress and a light pink, long-sleeve cardigan over it. Once finally satisfied, she took a selfie with her phone, only to briefly look at it and decide she needed to make further adjustments. Rain appeared moments later, dressed in a black thermal sweater, navy jacket and black pants.

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long," he said, as he turned off the vehicle.

"No, that was pretty fast actually." Dawn stepped out and closed the door, before slightly pulling her dress down at her thighs.

"Relax, you look beautiful. Don't worry about making an impression on them. Now, are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Good. You don't need to be afraid as long as I'm with you."

Rain slowly walked over to Dawn and held out his hand. She grabbed onto it and smiled as he pulled her in close. Wrapping her arms around him tightly, she rested her head against his chest as Rain levitated off the ground and soared off at lightning speed through the night skies above. She was afraid to open her eyes and look below her as they glided in the wind. But, as with the previous time, it was over before she knew it. Upon their descent onto the ground, Rain gently released her, still holding her while she regained her footing.