Chapter 23: The Wicked

In tonight's broadcast, we begin with a breaking news report just brought in by our local county authorities. A group of three students from St. Verina Academy, a private high school in Verina, have been reported missing. The three students–whose names are not being released at this time–were said to have been seen leaving campus last Wednesday, November 26th in route to the shopping district according to several friends and faculty members.

When the students did not return home over the Thanksgiving weekend, the parents of all three students, immediately notified authorities. Local officials are currently working with community leaders to conduct an investigation and locate the students. This comes less than four months following the disappearances of Jason Coleman and Hailey Weiss, also students of St. Verina Academy. As the situation changes, we will make sure to provide you with updates. In other news–

Click.

Dawn turned off the television, sliding back into her bed from the edge and sinking into the pillows behind her. Not again, she thought. Her first instinct was that it was definitely related to the demons. But her second thought, as much as it pained her to consider, was that it wasn't just any demon–it was Axel. Even if what Rain had said was true, and Axel would have eventually escaped, Dawn couldn't help but feel responsible.

On the other hand, it had been almost a month since Axel was freed. Nearly a month without incident. It didn't make much sense that he would wait so long before seeking out victims. The other key point was the fact that Dawn's wristwatch had not indicated any unusual passage to nor from Death City since the students went missing. It's possible they were killed in the forest by Axel, but just as likely that a stray demon was responsible.

As she sat quietly in bed, pondering the news report, Rick suddenly peaked his head in through the doorway before walking inside.

"You keep up with the news a lot more these days," he said.

"Oh, I know," said Dawn. "There's just a lot more going on is all."

Rick nodded. "That's true. But, hey, I wanted to let you know I've got a project for work coming up in a couple days. It's at our second facility in Portland and they want to send a group of us up there for five days or so. You gonna be okay here by yourself?"

"I'll be fine. But we just moved out here for your job and they want you to travel again?"

"Yeah." Rick laughed, shaking his head. "Go figure. It's optional, but the extra pay is significant. This will go a big way towards your tuition when you go back to L.A. for college the year after next."

Dawn propped up in her bed and her eyes lit up. "Oh Dad, really?!"

"I mean, assuming you still want to go. Seems like you're enjoying it here, but you always wanted the UCLA thing, so I don't know."

"You know, I hadn't given it much thought since coming back here. I was excited when you reminded me just now, but I'm honestly not too sure I want to leave anymore."

"Well don't sweat it now. You still got another year in high school before you start filling out applications, so enjoy that. Anyway, I'm going to leave this with you."

Rick walked over to her dresser and slid two, hundred-dollar bills underneath the lamp.

"Whoa, are you sure? I don't think I need that much for groceries. I just went to the grocery store yesterday."

"Yeah." Rick smiled at her. "If you don't need it all for food, maybe you can start your Christmas shopping with it."

"Thanks Dad. Have fun on your trip."