Chapter 13: Just Like Heaven

It was a surreal experience for Dawn when she walked onto campus Wednesday morning. With Rain at her side standing tall and holding her, for the first time, everyone was made aware of their relationship. Passing through the crowded courtyard, it seemed as though nearly every student and even some faculty members had to stop and stare. 

Rain was his usual cool, calm self, but Dawn did not know how to respond to that level of attention. Truthfully, she enjoyed being seen with Rain. And unbeknownst to them, he was the prince of Death City, and being with him made her feel like the princess.

After finally learning who Rain was, she felt that at least some of the fog had been lifted from the mystery surrounding Death City. But many questions still lingered in her head as she sat through class. Why exactly are the demons drawn to the city? How did the city itself even come to be? This uncertainness led her to ponder if Rain truly had no involvement with the townspeople who went missing. He was half demon after all and mentioned an "insatiable desire" they have for human souls.

Dawn believed that the answers would only be found inside Death City. While she wanted desperately to find them, she also did not want to betray Rain's trust. She felt that someone she cared for and who has saved her life several times wouldn't lie to her. If there were information which he had not told her, then it was for a good reason. 

Dark as the thought of Rain consuming human souls was, Dawn knew in her heart it would not change her love for him. In the end, it was still just that–a thought. Nothing more. All of this did remind her, however, that she hadn't yet told Rain about her membership in V.A.S.E.

Once school ended, Dawn met with Rain at the lighthouse, which had been the site of their first "date." As the two sat on the bench overlooking the ocean, Dawn rested her head upon Rain's shoulder. It felt like so long ago since they had last been there and, at the time, she had no idea who this mysterious, handsome boy in her class was. Truthfully, she still did not, at least not completely. But even so she was falling for him more and more.

Rain curled his head, looking into her eyes with a smile. They sat there for long moments, simply gazing into each other's eyes. In these silent, peaceful moments, it was almost as if they could read each other's thoughts. There wasn't much on her mind, other than a desire to stay with him there forever.

"You know," said Dawn. "I think I always knew. Not quite what you were, but just that you were something out of this world."

"How's that?" he asked.

"I don't know. It was just a feeling when I first saw you. And then when I met you, that same special feeling was there again. I'm just glad it was me. I mean, there are a lot of girls at school who obsess over you, Rain."

"Do you know why I have such strong feelings for you specifically, Dawn?"

"N-no. But sometimes I wonder...it's not just because of how I look is it?"

"I've met a lot of stunning woman in my lifetime."

"I can imagine..."

"None compare to you," he said. "There are many things I love about you. But above all else, you are the only girl I've met who makes me feel human. Being immortal for as long as I have, I've forgotten what it's like to feel. All these years it's like I've learned all there is to learn, saw all there is to see and become numb. But it's as if you've turned something on and now I'm living again. It's the innocence and honesty in your laughs and smiles that make me remember what being happy feels like. When you're away, I wonder if you're talking to another guy. If someone else is making you happy...I can't stand that depressing feeling, but it still reminds me of a time when that was normal for me. When I was just a regular person."