7. Ruth's Return

After a long car-chase through the rainy streets at night, Seth parked his car right at the entrance of an old cemetery at the outskirts and got out.

We watched him from a safe distance, hiding in the dark as he walked around the vehicle and opened the trunk to reveal a big shovel.

"Oh my God..." I heard Dakota whisper from the backseat, while Ethan was recording everything.

This sick fuck was seriously about to do this.

He started moving towards the eerie cemetery and I waved for them to follow me out of the car, careful not to be seen by him.

There were no tombstones. Just a bunch of crosses made out of wood.

We dug behind some bushes and filmed him dig for quite a while. I started thinking that this idiot had no strategy, but after what felt like an eternity, Seth lifted up a body, panting heavily.

"Zoom in on his face!" Dakota whispered to Ethan, while I creeped around the bush to get a better look.

Ethan made gagging sounds. "I'm gonna be sick."

I watched Seth pull the body out with all his might and my heart started beating painfully in my chest.

It was Ruth.

Creeping up behind him, I grabbed him and pressed the chloroform napkin to his nose.

His muscles instantly relaxed and he went limp in my arms, letting Ruth fall onto the ground.

Ethan and Dakota hurried to my side as I carelessly dropped Seth to the ground with a thud.

I looked down at the remainings of my heart, then turned away from her.

Jumping to my death had been easier than seeing her like this.

Ethan's gagging sounds didn't help.

"How did he find her?" He wondered as he tried not to throw up.

Dakota took that opportunity to kick Seth who was unconscious, before sighing in content. "That felt good," She said.

"Come on, what are you waiting for?" I told Ethan and he nodded hastily, pulling the serum out of his pocket and pouring all of its content on Ruth without looking at her.

As the last drop fell, I turned away with squinted eyes.

It was the moment of truth. If there was no Ruth, then there was no me either.

I looked at Dakota's shocked expression.

"Did it work?" I asked desperately.

Dakota stared at something like she was in trance, before she nodded almost mechanically.

I dared to turn around and looked at the ground.

She was healed and her beautiful eyes were wide open. Her expression unreadable.

I was the happiest person on earth as I fell onto my knees and hugged her body to mine, shaking uncontrollably through my sobs.