10. Falling In Love

"Have you tried being decent to her?" I asked, sarcastically, which earned me a scornful snicker from him.

This guy was absolute trash.

Finding a damn unicorn would be an easier task than getting any sane person to like Seth.

He was about to say something, when I heard Ruth speak instead.

"Oh my, where am I?" Her angelic voice wondered in concern.

I instantly turned around to see her sitting up in my bed with a frown.

Dakota, who was sitting next to her, grabbed her hand and told her something that I couldn't hear.

"I'm waiting," Seth reminded me menacingly and I glared at him. "Are you going to help me get her back or what?"

"We need some time to think," Ethan suddenly told him.

"Don't take too long," He retorted, brushing against my shoulder with force as he walked out of the room.

I made my way towards the bed Ruth was sitting in, but she lifted the covers in an attempt to shield herself from me in fright.

I hated this.

Not only did she not remember me, but she was also terrified of me.

Walking over to Ethan, I leaned closer to his ear.

"Why does she not remember us?" I asked him upset.

"How would I know?" He gave back defensively. "She died two times and was brought back. I can imagine that it messed with her head, I don't know..."

"Did you talk to her?" I asked.

"Dakota did," He replied. "But she's still scared as you can see."

I leaned away and looked back at Ruth.

"Please don't hurt me," Ruth pleaded softly.

"He's too weak," Ethan told her jokingly.

"I wouldn't hurt you," I assured her with pleading eyes.

"B–but y–you you kidnapped me," Ruth said nervously, peeking from over the covers.

"You have something like amnesia," I tried explaining to her. "You know us. Those are your friends and I'm your boyfriend."

"My mother would not be fond of that," She said, the fear still evident in her voice.

"That's the thing..." I told her sheepishly, rubbing the back of my head. "You're in the future and... sadly none of your family members are alive, expect for your brother Stewart maybe."

"Stewart?"

"Yes, he might be still alive," I told her. "You told me about him, remember?"

She smiled a little and I took that as an okay to come closer and actually take a seat on the bed. I made sure to create some distance between us though.

"I would love to see my brother," Ruth murmured to herself with hopeful eyes.

I smiled widely. "I can arrange that!"

Dakota and Ethan exchanged sceptical looks.

"Um, Cory?" Dakota said.

This time I would give her the best life I could and make her fall in love with me all over again.

"Guys, I got this."