11. Heartbreaks

"See, that's when we went fishing with my dad," I told her softly, showing Ruth yet another photo of me and her on the laptop. "You were scared of the fishes, but I'm convinced that you're scared of most animals." I stifled my laughter, thinking back to the time she tried to run from a chihuahua.

"I can tell you want to bust your gut, Cory. So go ahead." Ruth smiled, giggling lightly. "Yes, I'm afraid of most animals."

"Bust my– ?" I wondered raising an eyebrow, not familiar with her lingo. Sounded kinda naughty to me.

"Laugh," She enlightened me.

"Okay, I feel like I should've known that," I admitted while rubbing the back of my neck. " Now I don't feel like busting any guts no more..."

Ruth let out a small giggle.

She was still unable to remember any of us and our time together. It was honestly bothering me. I haven't even been able to kiss her at all since her return.

It had only been a couple days, but it was still enough to drive me crazy.

I loved this girl.

Ruth was beyond beautiful, selfless, caring, intelligent and talented. Kind of like a Disney Princess, minus being annoying.

"Hey, wanna go on a date with me tomorrow?" I suggested. "We could go to your favorite place."

Ruth looked sheepishly at me. "...Which is?"

I smirked, rolling my eyes. "Oh right," I said. "You can't remember."

She offered me an apologetic smile, her warm eyes sparkling.

"Guess you'll have to wait and see then," I smirked back, before it knocked on the door.

I got up and opened it.

"Oh..." It was Lillith, and upon seeing Ruth on my bed, her happy expression turned into a sad frown.

"Hey," I greeted her slowly, feeling kind of awkward.

"I thought we could – but you um, I," Tears were gathering in her eyes. "I'm sorry, I'm gonna go."

"No, I'm sorry," I let her know lamely, before she turned around and practically ran off.

Sighing, I closed the door.

I was being the biggest asshole, but Ruth was the only one I wanted.

She seemed concerned. "Who was she? And why was she so upset, Cory?"

"We had a thing going on before I met you," I shrugged, sitting back down next to her. "Nothing serious though."

"I feel bad," She said, looking down at her hands. "Heartbreak is such an awful thing."

I eyed her cautiously. "Have you ever experienced it?"

Looking back up, she answered timidly. "Well, back home, I liked this one fellow. His name was Henry and he was my neighbor. We used to play outside when we were little, but I was always too much of a stinkin' coward to tell him."

She had never mentioned that Henry guy before. I felt stupid for being jealous about an innocent crush, but I was extremely jealous.

"And one day he was kissing another gal behind the tree," She continued. "I cried three whole days!"

"Awe, baby," I cooed, wrapping my arms around her. She hugged herself tight to me and once again I was trying my hardest not to laugh. Three whole days, I chuckled in my head.

I was also trying no to get too excited as I held her close to me and caressed her back.

Ruth peaked up at me. "Have you ever experienced heartbreak?"

I blinked back at her for a second with my hand still on her cute curls.

Yes, when you passed away.

That wasn't heartbreak, it was straight up a death verdict.

I shook my head. "I don't think so," I replied, then tried to change the subject. "But that just now was Lillith, Seth's ex-girlfriend."

"Is she the girl he was talking about when he said that he wants her in order to keep quiet?" Ruth's eyes grew.

"Yeah."

Getting out of my embrace, she straightened up and gripped my arms. "Cory, please don't make her date that atrocious guy. No one deserves to be be with someone that is so very bad."

"Hey," I told her soothingly, brushing some hair out of her face. "It's fine, Ruth. I can't make anyone date against their will."

That seemed to calm her down.

"Plus I agree with you," I promised, smiling assuringly. "Which is why I'm gonna tell him tomorrow that he's not getting her."

Ruth looked at me with that adoring look on her face and I prayed to the heavens she was feeling the same way I was again.