Inner Voice

A/N - Just a note and disclaimer to warn you to read thoroughly! It's quite an intense and information packed chapter ><   I apologise in advance, this is a looong chapter lool

Happy reading loves! xx

{9}

Lucio's POV 

"The autopsy shows that the rogues had been drugged with an unknown performance enhancing drug." An old lady in a white coat announced. "The compounds and properties of the drug were, unfortunately, unidentifiable. We believe its due to how much was used up and of course, the death of the consumer."

We had made it to the medical institute, and was getting updated on the autopsy report that was done on the rogues. Having fought them myself, I knew that they were physically stronger and faster than the usual.

"Of course, we were initially focused on thoroughly testing their blood. However, after coming to realise it may be a performance enhancing drug, we had opened their bladder; in hopes of getting a urine sample. Usually, these kind of drugs leave a chemical signature known as a metabolite in the urine as the body breaks them down." She continued excitedly, flicking through dozens of pages.

I zoned out at that point, automatically cringing at the sound of chemistry. It was a subject I did not enjoy at school, I much preferred business and economics. Thankfully, Maya was with me, asking all the right questions and paying close attention to the expert. 

I had been quiet since our dispute in the car earlier, not sure how to feel or what to say. She was as intelligent as rumours pegged her to be, and quickly caught on that I had suspicions that her pack was involved in my mother's murder. 

It only took one conversation about that topic, for her to piece things together. 

I was explicitly warned, to not trust her or anyone in this pack; regardless of how nice they seemed. They definitely had something to hide about what had happened eight years ago, right? I was informed that Maya, herself, was aware of the truth behind mum's murder. 

But she was only thirteen years old then, to think she was involved is absurd...right? 

A voice in my mind kept bugging me, shutting down any doubts I had. Every time I gave Maya and her family the benefit of the doubt, that same voice would remind me of the true reality of things. 

That voice was my inner conscience. 

...or so I thought, until recently. 

My fist curled up in my hand, a rush of mixed emotions coursing through me. I was thinking back to the argument I had with Maya in the car, and how things went. 

"Are you okay?" The lady in white asked in surprise, taking in my rigid stance. 

I cleared my throat, ignoring Maya's annoyed glare. "I'm fine. Please, carry on." 

She nodded before continuing to talk about the report. I let my mind wander back, wondering why I had had to fight my inner conscience. 

When she had asked, "Is there any chance of changing your mind? Even if you think it'd take ten years?"

I wanted to tell her that I wasn't even certain about my suspicions. Honestly, sometimes these suspicions don't even feel like my own. 

Then she asked the question that made my heart stop. "Will we ever actually be mates?"

Fuck yes! We already are! 

But why hadn't I said anything? Because the voice in my mind had appeared again, to stop me, it sounded so convincing...