He is Back

A/N - Please,  pleeaaaase re-read this book again! Even if you remember the premise of the story, it will benefit you if you refresh your memory. I have written the past chapters with subtle hints and foreshadowing elements within them. This was done to plant seeds in your, the readers, head to have the story flow easier. 

Thank you for your patience and enjoy! <3

{14}

Maya POV

"Maya!" 

Two pairs of scattered footsteps brought my full attention to the cute pair running towards me. My younger siblings, Alex and Ella, wore huge smiles as they held their arms out. I crouched down and gave them a huge bear hug, engulfing them both in a warm embrace. 

"How was the school trip?" I asked with a warm smile.

Ella beamed at me with a bright smile. "We went camping and hunted!" 

My mood deflated a little, I wanted to be a part of their first ever hunt. However, their excited expressions completely lifted my mood. "That's great!" 

"I missed you!" Alex mumbled into my arm.

Ella stuck her tongue out at him before tightening her hold on me. "I missed her more!" 

I laughed at them, finding them adorable. "I missed you guys way more!" 

After everything that has happened and the amount of work I had, I was really glad to have them back. They had only been gone a few days, but their presence made a big difference. The stressed feeling had slowly crept in when I began to think about the demon situation.

Their odd coloured eyes curiously held mine before they began to pout. "You feel funny." Alex noted, his young face showing concern for me. 

Another one of their abilities due to the light gene was that they were able to sense emotions and feelings. It was a somewhat new ability that everyone is still trying to get used to. 

"The word is 'stressed, Alex!" Ella exclaimed with a proud smile. 

He stuck his tongue back at her and huffed at her smug face, earning a hair ruffle from me. "Okay guys, I'll play with you later. Go say hi to the others."

They skipped away from me, babbling to one another about random things. I watched them leave with a smile, barely noticing the familiar presence of my mate behind me. 

"Your little siblings?" 

He had crept up behind me, his curious gaze drawn to wear the twins were. I nodded at his assumption, confirming it. "Yeah, why didn't you say hi?" 

He shrugged, looking a little sheepish. "When the time is right." 

I gave him a deadpanned look before saying, "Lucio, they're only five." 

He nodded slowly, taking that in. "You know, they don't act like it. They seem more intuitive than what's normal for their age." 

I nodded with a chuckle, agreeing with him. "They are mature and smart for their age. They've developed quicker than their counterparts from school."

Which was likely due to their light gene, no doubt. 

"You know I almost had a younger sibling..."

I turned my entire body, facing him completely. "What?" 

Did his mother have a miscarriage? As though he had heard my thoughts, he then said flatly, "She didn't have a natural miscarriage. She died, so the unborn kid died with her."