Chapter 2 - A New Curse

A/N: Friendly reminder that this is just a rewrite of Year 6, with a few of my own changes. Nevertheless, there are MAJOR SPOILERS. Enjoy!

.............................................................

"You look rather sad, Penny" I said to her as we walked into the Three Broomsticks.

"I am rather sad. And also, I am regretting this decision." She said to me as we sat down on our usual seats.

"Look, if you're thinking about what happened in the last Vault, let's just say you're not alone."

"It's hard not to think about what happened, but this trouble with Bea is worse. I don't know if I should talk about it."

"Penny, you called me here to talk about it."

"Yes, but now I think I shouldn't be talking behind Bea's back."

"Then can I go now? Ben and Merula are reaching the heights of stupidity and I need to make sure those two don't get into trouble." I said with a massive sigh. "Either that, or you could tell me what's bothering you so I can help."

"You're being rather blunt, Sarahi!" Penny said surprised.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude. I'm a bit stressed- ok a lot stressed. Problems seem to be piling up on me and this trouble with Beatrice you're talking about is only making me worry more. So might as well just tell me otherwise I'll go nuts wondering."

"You won't have to wonder once you see Beatrice, but I'll tell you." Penny started. "Do you remember how Bea felt unsafe even after the portrait curse was broken?"

"Yes. But I thought we reassured her."

"I thought so too. And I was sure spending the holidays away from Hogwarts would make her feel better, but instead she sulked all summer."

"I see. So what happened?"

"Well, Beatrice started exploring... she said she was 'searching for herself'. Whatever that means."

"I think it means she's trying to find out what she's good at. What kind of magic she can do, and who she really is and what she's comfortable doing. It leads to changes in the way of dressing, talking and even making different kinds of friends and trying to gain independence."

"It seems like you know about these things."

"I do. It's what I said to Jacob when I began hanging out with Anna and Miyako. At the time, I had other friends; Liana and Aaron. But they ended up abandoning me, as you know."

"Did you and Jacob grow apart after that?"

"Just a bit. Jacob was actually quite supportive of me wanting to do things on my own. But he'd always be there for me for the bigger problems."

"Well, all that you said is exactly what happened to Beatrice. She's dresses different, talks different, and has made friends with... and odd company. She's even been reading more 'grown up' books lately. Trying too hard not to act her age, I guess."

"So I'm guessing your trouble with her is that you and her are growing apart? Because if that's the case, it's natural."

"We're not JUST growing apart. We're growing WAY too apart. We had always been close, but now she's like a stranger. She refuses to speak to me and she wouldn't even come with me to the welcome feast this year."

"Whoa. That's a bit overboard. I'm sorry Penny."

"I thought you might understand what it's like. To be close with a sibling who suddenly... isn't there."