Chapter 10: Dark Artefacts to find

A/N: I have no explanation for the ridiculous amount of time I stayed up to write this chapter. Enjoy the immediate update that my mother scolded me for.
……………………………………………………

I remembered Jacob's warning before I entered Knockturn Alley, keep your wand drawn.

But when we peeked into Knockturn Alley, the first person to get my attention was-

"BEN!? Not again!" I yelled, walking up to him. "I ought to slap you across the face at this point. What did I tell you about staying near the castle? What are you doing!?"

"Interrogating Dark witches and wizards."

"Ben us Interrogating Dark witches and wizards!? OUR Ben?" Tonks exclaimed.

"Yes… unfortunately. He thinks it'll help him hunt down Rakepick and the final Cursed Vault."

"But isn't that… I don't know, dangerous?" Barnaby asked.

"That's what I've been screaming."

"I'm close to finding a lead, I just know it." Ben told us.

"I don't know who's stressing me out more, Rakepick, Merula or you. Speaking of Rakepick, have you seen her around here?"

"If I had, do you really think I'd be talking to these blighters?"

"I suppose not. I'd probably come in here, find you dead, and then cry." I replied, crossing my arms.

"Ben, you know they can hear you, right?" Barnaby interjected.

"Well, we came here because Aberforth said Rakepick came here. But she isn't here. No white Eagle-owl either."

"A white Eagle-owl?" Ben asked. "You were looking for Sickleworth earlier. Are you sure it's Rakepick you're after, and not new additions to your creature collection?"

"Oh shut up…" I mumbled.

"First interrogations and now cheek? How very un-Ben-like of you." Tonks commented.

"Where have you been, Tonks? And for your information, Ben, Sickleworth did lead me to someone. But that wound up being Jacob, instead of Rakepick."

"Your brother was at Hogwarts?" Ben asked.

"Yes, he also saved me and Merula just before in Knockturn Alley thanks to Merula being stupid. Apparently there's some assassin after us."

"Wait, what!? When did that happen?" Barnaby asked.

"What?" Ben asked, but he sounded less desperate than Barnaby.

"That's more like the Ben I remember!" Tonks laughed. "Don't worry, I was shocked too!"

"I'm not shocked, I'm jealous." He replied.

I facepalmed. Barnaby looked at me and made a face at Ben. "And people say I'm stupid…"

"I… stand corrected." Tonks mumbled.

"What? Fending of an unseen assassin who could be anyone or anywhere? Sounds exciting to me."

"Exciting!? To deal with an ASSASSIN!?" I snapped. "I could die! Are you mad!?"

"Perhaps I am. You certainly seem to think so." Ben answered nonchalantly.

"If it makes you feel any better, Ben, the most interesting people usually are." Tonks said.

"Tonks, don't encourage him!" I yelled. "You might get that wish sooner than you think. The feather Sickleworth had was actually a white quill, and it was a threat to kill one of my friends."