Chapter 4: Careful what you wish for

A/N: I got some comments and I'm really glad people like this retell. I hope I can make it even better! Keep giving me comments and suggestions and I'll write the best I can.
…………………………………………………….

A bundle of Sage, Hagrid's Rock Cakes, and a rare star chart, courtesy of Badeea. It's a shame I had to offer it to the Centaurs. I'd have loved to read and study that star chart, but I had no time. Torvus seemed pretty happy about my choices for offerings, and wasted no time in escorting me to the Centaur camp. Torvus wasn't the only one there; there were other Centaurs there and they looked at me suspiciously. I stayed close to Torvus and stepped slowly, so as to not alarm any of the other Centaurs. I wanted them to feel that they could trust me. I just hope I don't botch anything up.

In any case, the camp was very beautiful. There was a big, warm fire in the center of an open area and tents surrounding it.

"I can't believe I'm finally in the Centaur camp…" I said to Torvus.

"You are quite fortunate. Few humans are granted the privilege to visit." Torvus answered. "However, I would not celebrate just yet. You still need to present your offerings to the Centaur chosen to be your judge. He will decide whether you'll be welcomed and allowed to seek our help in deciphering your prophecy, or forbidden from ever returning."

"For the sake of my own life and that of my friends, I hope it's the former…" I sighed. "Knowing what this prophecy means may help me find the next Cursed Vault faster, before Rakepick can. I can't let her get her hands on what's inside."

"While we wait for your judge to arrive, I'm curious to know what an outsider thinks of our camp…"

"It's beautiful, Torvus. And feels magical. Which is saying a lot since I go to school in an enchanted castle."

"Perhaps coming here will help you appreciate that there is more to magic than wand waving."

"Of course! It's like I always say- Magic is what you create."

Torvus turned his head towards the entrance of the Centaur camp. I followed his line of sight to see another Centaur, much larger than himself, enter.

"It looks like your judge is ready, Sarahi." He said to me.

I gulped. The size of this Centaur alone was rather intimidating. But I had to hold my own, and properly too. Alarming the Centaurs is not an option.

"Sarahi Silvers. I am Firenze of the Forbidden Forest Centaur herd." He introduced himself. "I will be determining whether you are worthy to remain as a guest in our camp. Now… present your offerings."

I took a deep breath. The first thing I picked up to offer was the star chart. "My first gift is a rare star chart. It has hundreds of years worth of star movements in it."

Firenze looked pleased. "This is a fascinating find. I am eager to study it."

Good. So I'm doing things right.

"My second offering is a batch of umm… Hagrid's Rock Cakes. I helped make them. I usually bake well but… I have never made cakes like these before."

"I've sworn off Hagrid's Rock Cakes after I lost a tooth to one. But the fact that you're friends with Hagrid, one of the few friends of the herd, reassures me."

"Maybe someday I can bring actual cake to the herd." I said smiling. "You won't lose any teeth, I promise."

"That is kind of you. What is your last offering?"

"Yes… my last offering is a bundle of Sage from the Hogwarts Greenhouses. It's for your stargazing and divination."

"Clearly you know our traditions and practices well. And it's fortuitous timing. Our supply was just beginning to run low."