xii. irl

・:*:・゚★ 。・:*:・゚☆,。・:*:・゚★

   Marie flopped onto aaron's bed, half awake and drowned in one of his t-shirt. it was almost eleven, and she'd just managed to roll herself out of her bed and up to his. aaron was already well awake, sitting up with a cup of coffee and his laptop, typing intensely at one thing or another.

   the blonde girl wrapped her arms around one of his pillows, turning her head so one side was buried into it while the other faced aaron, "whatcha doin?"

"working." aaron didn't look up. he had too many emails to go through to look up. too much stuff he'd spent the entirely too long avoiding to catch up on.

    "working—" she mocked, "you haven't been working since the divorce."

    "exactly." he still persisted to focus on the screen in front of him, even as he sipped on his cup of coffee, "life doesn't stop, mars. i've got to get a move on. get back to being busy. i can't sulk forever."

   "you aren't sulking— at least not anymore." she sat up and took his coffee from him to sip on it herself, "you've got me."

   finally, aaron gave up on trying to ignore her. he looked over at her, sitting cross legged and fresh faced on his bed— the most happiness he'd been around in weeks. "reckon i'm stuck with you forever?"

   maire grinned at him, "reckon you are."

   the dark haired man shut his computer. he'd been at it all morning, and there was no way he could manage to completely get back in the swing of things in just a couple hours. there was still an adjustment period to go through. he sighed, and then looked back at her, "well, that's unfortunate now, innit?"

"hey!" she threw a pillow over at him, as he jokingly smiled, "i'm a blast! you know i am!"

"sure you are. but you make me feel old." he admitted, "you've got to admit, i'm pushing thirty, and you're about a thousand times cooler than i am."

"no. you make yourself feel like an old man." she bargained, "you're twenty-nine for fucks sake. you don't have to constantly act like you've got your shit together. i get being mature, i get having a career. but you have to breathe sometimes, too. you're just aging yourself trying to be something you're not."

   "are you always this wise when you wake up?" he asked, trying to lighten the mood and trying not to let his existential crisis take center stage before noon.

"you're grand, aaron." the blonde girl looked at him with the look in her eyes that could make anyone melt. stop, he chastised himself. she nudged his shoulder "catch yourself on, you've just got to believe it yourself. put some pep in your step!"

"pep in my step?" he repeated her sentiment, adding a comical note in his voice, "and how do you suggest i do that?"

maire stared at him for a second, and then the lightbulb in her mind lit up, her eyes brightening and a smile over taking her expression. "i've got it!"

"what?" aaron looked at her confused, well behind whatever her train of thought had gone off on

"clear your schedule tomorrow." she insisted, getting up from the bed and staring down at him with a sort of childish determination, hands on her hips and her eyes alight with a mischievous sparkle, "it's time we have some real, mass marketed fun around here."

✧∘ ࿐ ཾ