prologue.

Innocence is a word often used when describing something or someone devoid of harmful intent: the absence of bad intentions. Someone or something that just lives in this world without any malicious thoughts, this thing, or this person is just here to exist as peacefully as possible.

This word was an awfully accurate description of Skye Mikaelson. Some would even use the words harmless or fragile when describing her.

How could they not? There wasn't a bad bone in her body.

At least, this is what other people thought of her.

Since she was a small child, people always felt the need to protect her, to shield her from the wrongs in the world. They didn't want a soul so pure to be tainted.

So, when she turned into a demon of the night, everything changed.

Her first kill was a simple one: a young boy strolling through the nearby woods.

Skye had been exploring the world with her newfound gift, which she would later realize was a curse, when she caught sight of him. He couldn't have been much older than her.

She was curious about what he was doing out here, surrounded by the thick foliage of the overgrown trees.

Not many people dared to go out into the woods, afraid of the powerful and cruel beasts that lived nearby. She wouldn't even be out in the woods herself if it weren't for the newfound strength and immortality she was blessed with by her mother.

She was just picking flowers for her mother and father, an almost daily occurrence, when she had seen the boy stumbling through the trees. He looked lost.

Skye didn't think he could do her any harm, especially not with her promising strength, so she approached the boy, who whirled around when he heard a twig snap behind him.

He looked scared and pale, and only then she saw he was bleeding. His clothes were soaked crimson, his dirty blond hair was stained copper, and there were ragged bite marks visible all over his body.

She could see he used to be quite a pretty boy, but now he looked like death.

When she was about to open her mouth, whether it was to offer help or let out a scream, she did not know, the smell of blood hit her like a ton of bricks. It was alluring, and she felt something stir inside her.

The boy, who had softened his panicked gaze when he had seen the girl, went even paler than before after seeing the look on her porcelain face.

He had also thought this girl couldn't do him any harm, with her blonde wavy hair and her faded white dress.

She had looked more like an angel than a demon.

He couldn't have been more wrong.

The moment the smell of fresh blood hit her, black veins appeared under her eyes, and the white in her eyes turned red. The sweet smile that she first wore turned into one of pure desire.

Before he could react, she jumped on him, teeth sinking into his neck, sucking out the warm thick blood that stilled the hunger that had risen when she had smelled the liquid.

The boy withered and screamed in her grip, but the girl was far gone.

The life flooded out of the boy, and once his eyes became glazed over, she finally let go.

Blood stained her once crisp dress and mouth. When her breathing had calmed, and her eyes had turned back to normal, she took in the sight in front of her.

Then she screamed.

She was horrified by what she had done. She feared herself... the demon inside her.