chapter two: what i am aches in me.

Adjusting to the new situation they all found themselves to be in proved difficult, which is why Skye was relieved when she was excused to go find her new room.

The emotions in the parlor had been at an all-time high and Skye had felt suffocated by the tension and anger. Now, on her own, she could try to reconcile her feelings with her thoughts without interruptions.

The room that had been assigned to her was huge, with white colored walls and heavy velvet curtains. The room held a large queen bed, a dresser, two nightstands and a large closet.

The closet was filled with clothes, from simple t-shirts and jeans to summer dresses and skirts. All the clothes were her size, like she had been expected.

Niklaus really had intended on making it their home.

When she first looked in the closet, she had frowned and called her sister. The clothes were a mystery to her, because they were so different from her older clothes. Rebekah had explained every pair of clothing to her in a happy but slightly distracted tone.

They had tried to explain to her everything she had missed, but it had made her head hurt, so very little information stuck.

Skye had changed into some more modern clothes, and Rebekah had advised her to wear something warm. She didn't know why, but still she obeyed.

Wearing jeans and a shirt was a new experience for her, but it was comfortable.

She had chosen a knitted sweater and grey jeans. Rebekah had given her a pair of black laced boots that fitted more nicely than she would have expected.

Yet still, she felt like a girl trying to dress up.

She had given her hair a good brush before she went over to Rebekah's room. Her sister had said that once she was done, Skye had to come see her in her room and they would do something together.

On the way to her sister's room, Skye got distracted by all the modern furniture and the paintings that were lining the wall. She was so focused on a painting with white horses in a field, that she hadn't noticed that Kol had left his room and was walking towards her.

'Hey there, little sister,' Kol spoke, which made Skye jump.

'Don't scare me like that, Kol!' she scolded him, a hand over her heart. Eyebrows scrunched together; she regarded the other in annoyance.

A smirk appeared on his face as he leaned back against the wall. He also had changed into more modern clothes, a bit baggy dark blue pants and a brown loose shirt.

'Where are you going?' her brother asked her in a singsong voice.

Skye couldn't help but sigh softly.

'I'm going to see Bekah. She wanted to spend some time with me,' she explained patiently, like she was talking to a child.

Kol pouted slightly, 'I thought we could spend some time together. We haven't seen each other in a long time.'

'I also haven't seen Bekah in a long time.'

'It's yesterday for you since you last saw her,' he remarked.

'Yes, but it's been more than 900 years for her.'

'Same here.'

A grunt escaped Skye's lips.

'What if we spent some time together tomorrow? Or is that the day Mother decided to throw the ball?' a confused edge to her voice.

Almost everything their mother had said was a blur, she had just been so happy to see her.