chapter twenty two: hope is a caged butterfly.

Sunlight trickled in through the curtains, casting the room in a beautiful light, freckles of a glittery reflection drifting through the air.

Digits tracing lines over skin, eyes still latched closed, nose pressed into the crook of his neck.

Hand moving through her golden locks, a satisfied sigh left parted lips.

The girl snuggled closer into his frame, trying to connect in a way only skin to skin contact could manage, but not minding the fabric between them.

There was something about just lying next to each other, subtle and small touches, sharing the same space.

In her mind, much better, much more intimate, than sex could ever be.

Hand spreading out onto his chest, she moved her head to look at him through her lashes, a drowsy but happy look reflecting in her eyes.

'Good morning,' the boy muttered, a smile pulling at the corners of his lips, hand continuing with the untangling of locks.

'Morning,' A yawn escaped her, making her nose scrunch up in annoyance.

She didn't like waking up early, despite the wonderful company she was in, because it always caused her to yawn uncontrollably throughout the rest of the day.

Amusement twinkled in his eyes as one of his hands moved to her face, tapping her nose, causing the girl to giggle softly before rolling onto her back.

Hues looking up at the ceiling, she felt Stefan move to lay on his side. She felt his gaze on her, prickling her skin, and she couldn't take it any longer.

She turned to lay on her side again, cobalt blue locking with forest green, hand coming up to take his.

Their fingers interlocked.

She looked at their hands for a fraction of a second, before letting her eyes travel back to his. Nibbling on her bottom lip, she was proud for achieving the look of desire on Stefan's face.

She released her lip before leaning forward, letting her lips brush his.

The boy pressed his lips harder to hers, but she pulled back teasingly.

Casting him one last look, she sat up and swung her legs over the bed, letting them dangle there for a second, before standing up and moving towards the bathroom.

Turning back when she reached the doorway, she smiled, 'The Winter Wonderland charity event is today. Maybe you should change into different clothes. You promised Caroline to come.'

Stefan rolled onto his back, throwing his arm over his eyes, 'I need to see Klaus first.'

This caused Skye to frown, 'What for?'

He moved, propping himself up on his elbows, looking at her, 'Take your shower first. I'll tell you after.'

She hesitated, but nodded eventually, before moving further into the bathroom.

Shredding herself of the last remaining glimpses of sleep, she moved to get ready for the day, fully well knowing that town events in Mystic Falls, never quite turned out to be an enjoyment.

After showering and putting on a fresh set of clothes, a purple flower skirt, and a white jumper, she made her way back into the room to find it empty.

A frown played with her features, until she heard bustling downstairs.

Smoothing out her face, she moved out of her bedroom and made her way downstairs towards the kitchen, realizing the sound was coming from there.

As she entered the kitchen, her expression turned surprised but delighted. The smell of pancakes filled her nostrils and her mouth began to water.