chapter eighteen: we all go a little mad sometimes.

When Skye Mikaelson woke up early in the morning from a phone call, she had been a bit grumpy.

There was one thing you could never describe the girl to be, and that was a morning person. Some mornings were better than others, but most of the time she stayed in bed past ten.

She wasn't a 'cease the day by getting up early' type of gal.

Though when the voice behind the phone call had filled her ears, the snappy comment she had on the tip of her tongue washed away like a wave.

If there was one person who could wake her up so early in the morning, it had to be Stefan Salvatore.

Not that he would ever find out that he made her entire day better just by hearing his voice. She was an independent woman and all that.

While Stefan's news did make her feel like a rock was making its way down her stomach, it wasn't as bad as it would have been if it had come from anyone else than Stefan.

Part of it also had to do with the fact that Stefan had called her to tell her about the situation without even needing to.

Yes, they needed her help, but she was the first-person Stefan called just so that he could share it with someone.

While Skye was hoping for something leaning more towards a romantic relationship, a friendship was a good start.

She had always been jealous of the relationship Caroline had with Stefan, how easy they got along with each other.

Skye wanted their relationship to be the same. She didn't want it to be focused on passion and lust.

She wanted it to be focused on trust, loyalty and friendship. That was something she had been firm in since she had a sense of what love was.

Her relationship with her ex-fiancé had been rooted in that very subject, and she was planning to have all her future relationships start with the same base.

For Skye there wasn't any other way to love.

It may seem naïve, but the Original felt strongly about everything revolving around love and happiness. For her they came hand in hand. And it had already been proven to her once that such relationships existed.

While Skye usually would have dressed up nicer, especially when she was in the presence of Stefan, the situation at hand was more pressing than changing into some cute clothes.

The wakeup call had consisted of Stefan informing her that Elena had stabbed her own brother Jeremy with a kitchen knife. In the throat.

Damon had informed Stefan that the doppelgänger had been hallucinating, imagining Connor who had been one of the Five, instead of seeing that it was her little brother Jeremy. Which meant the hallucinations had begun. She had hoped Elena wouldn't suffer from the same thing Nik did, but here she was, obviously being affected.

The boy had the luck that he was wearing a ring that could bring him back to life, and Skye was relieved herself because of this.

In the short time she had known him, she became connected to him in a way she didn't understand. It wasn't exactly romantic, but it wasn't all that friendly either.

She knew Jeremy felt it too, but they hadn't discussed it yet. There was too much they had to worry about already. Their feelings didn't play a part in the bigger picture.

Stefan picked her up from the house she shared with Rebekah, sort of at least, since her sister was laying daggered in a box thanks to their lovely brother Niklaus.

After the events of last night, Skye was glad that their bond had grown stronger. There wasn't anything forced about their interactions anymore.

While Stefan was worried about Elena, it didn't matter when it came to terms of how they acted around each other.