chapter five: the sun also rises.

A long time ago Skye promised herself to make everything she could out of life, but she never really got the chance to fulfill that promise. She was determent to do that now. Nothing was going to stop her. Not even the only thing that could kill her.

Right now, she was soaking in the sun of the early morning, enjoying the small time she had before chaos began. The square of Mystic Falls was lovelier than she would have expected.

Powerful rays flooded over the landscape, lighting every blade of grass, shining from each leaf. It wasn't a big town square, just some trees and a patch of grass, but it looked lovely. The Mystic Grill was even visible from here.

She was sitting in the middle of the field, head thrown back and eyes closed. Her mind was clear, and she was actually enjoying it.

The dress she wore, a loose baby blue fabric with a belt, was flowing over her bare legs, the silky fabric soft on her skin. Her bag was thrown carelessly to the side, and her jacket was draped over it.

Many people would be bored after ten minutes of not doing anything, but Skye liked the serene calm.

At home Rebekah was up early to find out more about the White Oak, she even made an appointment for tomorrow with Mayor Lockwood, and Nik was restless, stalking around the house and scolding her for every little thing.

She didn't blame him though, even she became restless knowing that there was still something out there that people could use against her family. Her family was her everything and she did not know what she would do if she lost any of them.

A small sigh escaped her lips. She was sitting here so she didn't have to think about her family and her troubles, and all she did was think about it. How terribly humorless.

She desperately needed friends. Not that it was possible to get friends in a town where her siblings caused chaos and destruction. They were wary of her just because of them. It was unfair and she hated her family for that.

Lately all she felt was hate and it was breaking her heart. She wasn't made like that. Always trying to think the best of people and staying positive was her thing.

But ever since she came back, all she felt was a grudge against everyone.

There were 900 years that she had missed of her life. Everyone else had the chance to live their lives to the fullest, but she didn't.

And she hated it, she hated it, she hated it.

She wanted to scream and throw with things. Shout at everyone and everything.

She wanted to feel. She wanted to feel love and friendship and hope. But all she felt was hate, rage, desperation.

This isn't living, she thought. This is surviving.

With a sigh she stood up, pulled on her jacket and threw her bag over her shoulder. The grill she supposed was a distraction. So that's where she went.

...

The grill wasn't busy, but there were certainly a few people there. Behind the bar she saw Matt Donovan and she almost went to turn around, but something stopped her.

If she turned around now, then she couldn't say she had done everything to try to make friends, to fit in. It was entirely in her hands now.

So, after taking a deep breath, she walked over to the bar and took a seat. It didn't take long for Matt to notice her, and when he approached her, he looked cautious.