chapter twenty eight: cathedral of light.

Paranoia was not an uncommon feeling for Skye. She had struggled with it for most of her vampiristic life, the guilt of her victims amplifying a part of her that could easily be written off as insanity.

Usually the threat was made up. Her own imagination running rampant.

Now? The promise of death was all to real.

After her phone call with Rebekah, she knew she had to go somewhere that would give her at least an inkling of safety. The Salvatore Boarding House was the most obvious choice, but Skye didn't know if she could keep her anxiety to herself once seeing Stefan. 

That left her with very few options.

Eventually she decided on going inside of Rebekah's house and giving Elijah a call to explain to him what had happened. Every second of her being alone felt like an eternity, cobalt hues skittering around at any noise or shadow moving.

Silas could come for her whenever he desired and there was very little that she could do.

Her siblings arrived around roughly the same time, which made her only slightly less on edge. Seeing Silas had taken the face of her sister during their brief conversation, she knew that he could appear to her however he wanted.

After a few security questions, which was technically useless, seeing Silas would most likely just fish the answers from her mind, she told them what happened.

Even Rebekah managed to push away her betrayal for worry.

They decided it was safest for her to continue like nothing had happened, but to stay inside at all times. It was impossible to provide her with constant security, so staying at the boarding house was probably safest.

While there was very little Stefan or Damon could do, at least she would rarely be alone. Having Elena in their basement made sure that they were very unlikely to leave.

Skye had protested the idea, fearful of spilling everything to Stefan, but eventually even she had to agree with the plan.

That's why she was now seated in the Salvatore's parlor, watching the brothers play catch while having a conversation about Elena.

The days had gone by painfully slow, her nerves constantly on edge. She tried to pretend everything was fine, but it was obvious she was lying. 

Stefan wrote it off as her being nervous about having a humanity-free vampire in their basement, but it made him worried, nonetheless.

There had been no signs of Silas, at least as far as Skye was aware. That only made it worse. She knew he was going to come for her sooner rather than later, and the waiting was dreadful. She just wanted it over with.

'She's the calmest desiccating vampire I've ever seen. I remember when you starved me down there for three days. I would've wept at your feet for an orange peel,' Damon said as he passed the ball over to Stefan.

His reply came quick, 'Look, she's not gonna beg for blood. Begging means desperation, emotion. She's still in the no-humanity zone.'

Skye should probably have been thinking more about Elena and how to help her, but right now the doppelgänger seemed like the least of her worries. 

Still, she had to at least pretend for Stefan's sake. 

'It's been days. How hungry does she have to be?' Skye had never been starved before, at least not to this degree and she had no idea how long it would take for Elena to become antsy.

'A lot hungrier than she is now, apparently.' Stefan gazed at her, a frown worrying his face as his eyes swept over her. She seemed ready to bolt at any moment and she had been like that for days. He'd tried asking her what was wrong, but he always got the same answer.