six. QUIDDITCH

vi.
QUIDDITCH

A LIGHT LAYER OF FROST had covered the outside grounds of Hogwarts, and the students were getting ready for the first Quidditch game of the year

A LIGHT LAYER OF FROST had covered the outside grounds of Hogwarts, and the students were getting ready for the first Quidditch game of the year. There was a giddy energy in the Great Hall as they sat and ate their breakfast, especially from Dawn Jeffrey. She could barely hold her slice of toast, she was shaking from pure adrenaline.

"Dawn, you really need to calm down." Willow sighs, as a tray of muffins floats past the two. Dawn grabs four off the platter, while Willow picks one after observing each muffin carefully to choose the perfect one.

"I can't help it, you have no idea how much I've been itching to play. Today's the day, and I've never been so ready." Dawn says, following her statement with a ginormous swig of milk.

"You're not nervous at all?" Willow asks, spreading butter on her own piece of toast. Willow was terrified of flying on brooms after an incident in her first year flying lesion with Professor Hooch where she flipped upside down and then ran into a wall, falling onto her head and getting a pretty wicked concussion. She had to spend a week in the hospital wing, and couldn't do any sort of running or jumping for even longer. Quidditch never really interested her after that.

"I'm terrified. But in the best way possible." Dawn says. "As long as we don't make a complete fool of ourselves, I'll take anything."

"Right. You've got nothing to worry about." Willow says, taking a sip of her orange juice. She almost spits it back out when she sees a small, mousey boy with bright blonde hair strutting towards them. "Malfoy, ten o'clock." She mutters, and Dawn's eyes widen, averting her attention the opposite way.

"Hey, Dawn. Ready for the game today?" Draco Malfoy asks, plopping down next to the girl. His minions Crabbe and Goyle follow, sitting next to him. Dawn ignores him, using the same excuse she always did with him. She couldn't hear him.

"Dawn, I'm talking to you." Malfoy says, then snaps his finger in front of her face, making her jump a bit. "I've got your attention now, don't I?"

"Leave her alone, Draco. She obviously doesn't want to be associated with you and your puny first year friends. Now scram." Willow says, rolling her eyes at the annoying boy. Draco shoots her a disgusted look, and Willow reflects it right back towards him.

If only looks could kill.

"Why are you here, half-blood? Shouldn't you be in Ravenclaw with your ass of a brother? Or were you not smart enough to make it there at all? Hell, you're definitely not a Slytherin, you really shouldn't bother coming at all." Willow feels her face flush beet red, and her hands begin to shake furiously. Malfoy knew all the spots where it hurt the most, which made fighting with a first year that much more embarrassing. She wasn't going to back down, though.

"Leave her alone Malfoy." Dawn mutters.

"Oh look, the deaf girl speaks! I thought she was busy crying over her dead sister-"