twenty three. COMPARTMENT 23

xxiii.
COMPARTMENT 23

"JUST LIKE THAT, fourth year's over

"JUST LIKE THAT, fourth year's over. I can't believe—"

"We know, 'Mur." Willow and Dawn chorus together, with matching annoyed tones. They had been riding on the Hogwarts express for only ten minutes, and Willmur had managed to mention the end of the year at least a dozen times.

"Sorry, just a bit shocked that I'm already over half way through my Hogwarts lifetime. Feels like just yesterday we were starting this year..." Willmur says, scratching the back of his neck. Dawn rolls her eyes, closing the book she had only just started. 'To Kill a Mockingbird,' Willmur and Willow had both told her she should read it, and when she finally agreed, she got Willow's mother's old copy.

"Maybe that's because you were knocked out half of this year, incase you forgot?" Dawn comments sarcastically as she stretches her legs out on the cushion next to her.

"Still," Willmur says under his breath. He scratches under the chin of Mistoffolees, Willow's cat who was curled up next to him. Willow has been sitting closest to the compartment door on the other side of Willmur, fiddling with the empty Chocolate Frog wrapper she had found in her pocket. The compartment had fallen to a comfortable silence, each teen just enjoying each other's company as they stare out the window. The green trees and rolling fields of rural England were speeding by, resembling the time they had those past years at school. Moving too quick to keep up.

"So, you keeping in touch with Macy over the summer?" Willmur asks eventually, inevitably being the one to break the silence. He looks to Dawn, who had a slight smile on her face.

"Oh yeah, she made me promise to write to her every week. I suggested once a month, but we made a compromise."

Willmur and Willow give each other knowing smiles, before Willmur's attention switches to the compartment door behind her. Dawn is the second to shift her eyes in the same direction, clearing her throat and shooting Willow a look to grab her attention. Confused, Willow's eyebrows knit together, and she turns over her shoulder to see what the fuss had been all about. In front of the door of the compartment was George Weasley, waving with a goofy look on his face.

"Which one is that?" Willmur whispers out loud.

"I would say the less annoying one, but they're both equally obnoxious in my eyes—"

"Ah, so it's George?"

"Both of you," Willow turns to her two friends, holding her index finger up. "Shut up, please."

Looking back to the door, Willow sees George poking his finger at her, then pointing with his thumb to tell her to step out. Inhaling loudly, Willow goes to open the door.

"I'll be right back."

Stepping out, Willow rakes her hand through her short hair and exhales through her nose sharply.