seventeen. SEVEN SECRET PASSAGEWAYS

xvii.
SEVEN SECRET PASSAGEWAYS

"I CANNOT BELIEVE you invited that blithering idiot," Dawn says to Willow as they make their way through the halls of Hogwarts

"I CANNOT BELIEVE you invited that blithering idiot," Dawn says to Willow as they make their way through the halls of Hogwarts. Their Christmas Eve party was that night, and Dawn said she had a surprise to show Willow in the kitchen.

"Who, Fred?" Willow asks, which makes Dawn roll her eyes. She knew what her best friend was doing, she just didn't know why.

"Look, I know this is your way of apologizing, but you did nothing wrong, alright? I honestly don't even know why you're all making such a big deal out of this."

Willow shakes her head, her stubbornness never seizing to amaze Dawn. "No, Dawn. This isn't an apology. I'm not trying to make things right, because I don't care about him like that. I just want this party to be the best thing this place has ever seen, and we can't do that without him. Trust me on this."

"Whatever, as long as you two don't end up snogging each other I don't really care," Dawn replies, and Willow makes a disgusted face. "No way."

When the two girls reach the doors to the kitchen, Dawn throws them open without hesitation. Willow had never been to the kitchen, but boy was it a sight to see. The smell of all the food being made to feed thousands, and the sights of all the house-elves working hard was something she never thought she's experience.

"Good evening everyone!" Dawn says, and a few of the elves nod in the girl's direction. Looking over her shoulder, Dawn sees her best friend standing in awe at the front of the room. Some of the elves were shooting her odd looks, which gives Dawn the cue to go and get her to move.

"Come on, Will. Surprise is this way," Dawn laughs, and grabbing her best friend's hand, the dark haired girl leads her best friend through the kitchen to a table in the back.

The table was massive, and covered in trays and trays of delicious party food. Willow could hardly hold in a gasp at the sight before her, and Dawn smiles triumphantly. A small, male house-elf places a third tray of bread rolls on the table, and Willow smiles thankfully towards him.

"Cheers, Joey." Dawn says to the elf, and he gives her an annoyed noise in return, before stalking away.

"Was that his name?" Willow asks while pointing to the small elf.

"I dunno," Dawn shrugs. "Anyways, what d'ya think?" She motions to all the food, and Willow's smile widens as she runs her hands through her blonde hair.

"It's perfect! How on earth did you manage all this?"

"It's amazing what you can get some house-elves to do with some sock-taunting," Dawn says, and Willow's eyebrows furrow.

"I don't even want to know what that means-"

"'Course not. So, do you think this'll work?" Dawn asks, and Willow nods as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.