eighteen. PARTIES AND PROBLEMS

xviii.
PARTIES AND PROBLEMS

THE SLYTHERIN COMMON room had never seen such a collection of students all getting along at once

THE SLYTHERIN COMMON room had never seen such a collection of students all getting along at once. There were kids of all ages and houses, chattering and dancing around like they had known each other their whole lives. The endless supply of food that Dawn was able to get her hands on was scattered all throughout the room, and the students feeling peckish would grab a bit of apple pie or pumpkin juice as they mill around and speak to their peers.

Macy Scrivenshaft, the mysterious fifth year with stories of her American background, was the star of the party. Everyone had gathered by the fire where she had plopped herself on the dungeon floor, gazing intently at her as she speaks about what wizards in America are like.

"We really didn't think about the implications of this one," Willow says to Dawn as they stand near the tall glass window, where you could see directly into the Black Lake. "Looks like you're not getting a second alone with Miss Popular."

"It's alright, I have other chances," Dawn shrugs her shoulders, but nevertheless had a hint of disappointment lingering on her words. "I saw Cedric. I can't believe the nerve that boy has. Showing up to our party, after the whole situation with Willmur? Asshat."

"Don't you think you're being a bit dramatic?" Willow asks, but Dawn simply scoffs. "It's not his fault Willmur's petrified, DJ. You know that."

"It may as well be," Dawn shrugs, making Willow laugh a bit. From beside her, Willow picks up a small pastry of some kind off of a full tray, and holds it out for Dawn to take a bite out of. Smiling goofily, Dawn takes a bite, and immediately gags and spits it back out onto her hand. Willow groans out of disgust, handing her a napkin to clean herself off with.

"Merlin's beard that was dreadful! What the hell was that?" Dawn exclaims, folding up the napkin that she had wiped her hand and face off with. She quickly stuffs it into the pocket of her sweatshirt, and Willow shrugs.

"I have no idea. I just grabbed it off of this tray. No wonder no one else has taken any," Willow points to the tray, and Dawn grimaces.

"Those sneaky elves probably poisoned them or something when they found out I didn't have enough sweaters and scarves to free them all. The bastards."

"You said you would free them?" Willow questions, astonished by her friend's diabolical actions. "That's horrible!"

"Oh, relax. They'll live," Dawn waves her best friend off, already checking out of the conversation and glancing around the room. Her eyes land on one of the Weasley twins, his back currently to the girls as he was lurking around the table full of drinks.

"I'm going to go and see if I can lure Macy from the crowd, you go and accompany the lonely ginger who's seems to be looking for a drink to drown himself in. See ya," Dawn pats Willow on the back, then lightly pushes her towards the boy. Willow turns over her shoulder to see Dawn scurrying away, waving her arms to get Macy's attention.