Vulnerability of the Heart

It was a strange day for Naib Subedar. He woke up feeling strangely empty. He's been feeling that way for a while now, since that day. The morning sun had done nothing to soothe the odd aching cold enveloping his heart. He walks with caution, hiding his Gurkha blades by the folds of his chiton.

When he reached the dining hall, he'd been the last one out of bed. "Good morning Naib, I'm sorry I couldn't wake you." Aesop apologized, his hair seemed to be covered with more than one flower this time. "Man, you really slept like a log ya know? You wouldn't budge!" William mused. "Ye sorry about that," Naib sighed, taking his seat explaining "I must've been lackin' in sleep or somethin'"

"I don't think so." William, pointed towards the unofficial Tri love triangle, "you immediately collapsed to sleep after you fetched these three." The guilty simultaneously scratched their head bashfully. "Would you like to take a day off of training? We can cover for you." Joseph offered, Aesop nodded in agreement while Eli vaguely agreed.

"Nah, I'll be fine dude. I've got more to me ya know!" Naib jestered, attempting to emulate his usually cheerful self. "Naib, take a break." His stare was evident even with a blindfold covering his eyes. Naib however wasn't budging. "Seriously I am." With stern words, he hoped he could hide behind them, but the foundation was weak and so was he then.

Eli only sighed, then Aesop piped in saying "if I'm not wrong, Norton's free today. You can spare with him IF he agrees. If not, then he'll accompany you while you rest." With Aesop looking at him sincerely, it was the breaking point.

"Fine." Naib sighed, stuffing his mouth with food as he did right after, "but ya can bet he'll allow me to spar!"

"No." A sound of distress echoed inside Naib. "Come on dude!" Naib coaxed. "You of al' people should know this could take ma' mind of it..". Norton smiled serenely, patting Naib's shoulders. He looked at Norton with hope twinkling in his eyes. "Still, No." Now that was a punch to the gut.

"You haven't been Normal since you heard what Pats said." Norton explained. Naib perked up at this, a sly grin appeared in his face. "Oho? You've been meeting patricia ey?" "Ayy shush." The flustered boy swatted Naib's heart hands away. "This is not the point." He said.

Naib slowly deflated back. He looked at the hands the wandered to where his heart resides. "I guess, maybe I just haven't been feeling well ya know?" Norton hummed, "doubt it."

The two walked side by side in the forest they usually loiter in. The sky was particularly cloudy today and silent. Naib danced around the the thick tree roots that settled above ground while Norton followed suit. "I think there's someone who can help us." Naib looked back to see Norton leaning forward. "Who?" He asked, Norton took his hands and swiftly dashed further into the woods. "Patricia! She's the one who told you about it, maybe she has more to say!" "And how would we even find 'er?"

He saw Norton grin, the further they went, the darker it seemed to get. He said,

"One must be troubled to be consoled!"

Suddenly, they entered an opening. The scene infront of him had him in awe. It was strange. It was a cloudy sky before they entered the forest, and yet here, the sun seemed to be stuck at dawn. The sky was colored in an array of pinks and oranges. It was beautiful sight to see. The forest had opened up to reveal a field with grass reaching up to their waist. There, in the middle of it was a small looking cottage. It had an odd shape, it looked old but well maintained.

Naib could only stare in confusion. "Well what are you waiting for?" Norton beckoned him, "come on!" He pulled Naib through the tall grass. It looked sharped, but it was probably the softest thing to even caress him. He watched as Norton knocked on a tiny door, his smile was big and sweet as he said "Pats! I'm here!". He then heard a deep but melodious giggle beyond the door, "I told you not to call me that—" suddenly she grew in surprise. "Hey." Naib said, awkwardly smiling as he did.