Chapter 15

Meanwhile, Jonathan and Nancy had made it to Mrs. Driscolls house.

The driveway was long and graveled, giving the visitors a long view of the green trees and plants around the front yard and driveway.

Jonathan parks the car, allowing himself and Nancy to climb out and walk towards the front door.

The house seemed like any normal house, but what was going on inside...made it completely unordinary.

Nancy reaches forward, ringing the door bell.

As the young couple wait, they listen to the faint jazz music coming from inside the house.

The wooden floor tiles from within creaked, indicating someone on the other side of he door. 

"Yes?" An older ladies voice called from inside.

Nancy straightened her posture a bit, ready to talk.

"Hi, um, I'm Nancy. Nancy Wheeler. We spoke briefly on the phone last night. We're from The Hawkins Post," Nancy says as she fiddles with her notepad she held in her hands.

The door swung open, revealing an older lady with glasses and short hair that was a bit overweight.

This was Mrs. Driscoll...

"Oh! Oh, yes! Oh, my goodness. You look too young for reporters!" She chirps as she waves her hand at Jonathan and Nancy.

They looked at each other, trying to think about how to answer her statement.

Jonathan quickly spoke up.

"We get that a lot," Jonathan nods with a shrug.

Mrs. Driscoll smiles a bit before turning her back on the two.

"Follow me," she says as she walks deeper into her household. 

Nancy and Jonathan slowly walk behind Mrs. Driscoll, unsure of what to expect.

As they walk in, they notice the classy type style of the house.

It had the 1950's house wife kind of vibe to it. It was quaint.

"Oh, it's it's lovely. Um, do you live here all alone?" Nancy asked, trying to make up conversation.

"Yes. Jack, my husband, he passed away, what is it now, ten years ago!" Mrs. Driscoll says as she walks towards the stairs, leading to the basement.

Nancy then felt bad for bringing up the subject, especially because her husband was dead.

"Oh, um I'm-I'm so sorry," Nancy stutters a recovery sentence, not wanting the air to get thick with awkwardness.

"Oh, don't be," Mrs. Driscoll excuses Nancy by waving her hand.

"I kinda like the quiet. At least, I did," she says as she finally reaches the basement door.

She pushes the old wooden door, it slowly creaking open to reveal a shadowed path to underneath the house.

Nancy and Jonathan shared uneasy looks as Mrs. Driscoll simply said:

"This way."

Mrs. Driscoll walked down the steps rather quickly, every step cracking under her weight.

Nancy followed behind, but not as fast.

The room was rather suspicious. The darkness made it less comfortable.

Once the trio made it to the bottom, Mrs. Driscoll pointes to the gnawed open bags of fertilizer.

"It's right over there," she says as Nancy walks over towards it.