Chapter Five: I didn't know doors had fists

"Hey loser, what are you doing here?"

Michelle was sitting on the front steps of the school. She was drawing something, like always.

"I kind of... go to school... here?" Was the best thing Peter could reply with. He was still mad at his brother for making him leave so early. Who does that to their sibling? Now he had half an hour to lose before school.

MJ gave him one of her signature death glares and then an eye roll. "I meant" she went back to drawing "What are you doing here this early?"

"I could ask you the same thing," Peter replied and hesitantly sat next to MJ, leaving some space between them. She had her usual notebook, or sketchbook as Peter recalls they're called, and was finishing up a drawing.

"I like to come early and watch other tired students come through the door like a bunch of zombies. It's nice to draw them," She then flipped over the notebook she had been drawing in and revealed a sketch of Peter walking.

He must admit, it did look realistic. But he didn't like the fact he looked so tired in it. She was only drawing what she was seeing so he couldn't blame her.

"So what about you?" MJ's voice brought him back to reality.

Peter tried to come up with something but gave up. "My brother woke me up earlier, saying I was late. So I of course got ready really early and didn't have time to check the clock. Before I knew it, I was half an hour early to my usual train, but I decided to come here anyway instead of waiting around."

"Wait, you have a brother?" MJ asked as if that was the only thing she got from his explanation.

"Why is that such a surprise to everyone? Yes, I have brothers. Tobey and Andrew, they're both older than me." Peter said simply, trying to recall if he ever told Michelle. Probably not, the two of them didn't talk a lot about their lives outside of school.

MJ shrugged and continued to draw "That's cool."

They didn't talk much after that, they just sat in silence. Peter was quietly looking over MJ's shoulder to look at the drawing of him. She didn't say anything about that but if you looked closely enough you could see a faint blush on her cheeks.

-

"Hey Penis!"

Peter groaned and looked up at Flash. He was sitting at a lunch table, alone. Ned didn't get to school today and MJ was... Somewhere. He expected her to come over soon enough though.

"Oh, is the little baby alone?" Flash mocked in a baby voice with his food tray in his hands.

"Hey loser, what's up" He could hear MJ behind him. She sat opposite him, not noticing Flash who was watching the two of them.

Flash looked proud. "Even your so-called friends know you're a loser!"

"It's called a nickname Eugene, you obviously wouldn't know that, since you have no friends," MJ said while taking out a book. She wasn't looking at him, but Peter thought Flash's face at the moment was priceless. Flash muttered something under his breath and walked away, leaving them alone.

"Where is Ned?" MJ asked, looking up from her book to look at the empty space next to Peter.

"He said something about visiting a sick relative today. He had to go before school so he won't be joining us today," Peter answered. He was pretty lonely, but Michelle was great company, even in silence.

MJ nodded and went back to her book. Soon enough they were sitting in silence again but the silence felt comfortable.

-