My Engagement

" The curls are not proper. What kind of a stylist you are! Do it properly, I think my parents have paid you enough! It is my engagement day and I must look flawless. Are you getting what Im saying? " 

"Yes mam" The stylist replied in a frail, squeaky voice.

"And plz do it quickly."
She nodded in affirmative.

              I was furious at her. She was doing her work so slowly and improperly. It was my day! Mominah Qureshi,the only daughter of the buisness tycon Abdullah Qureshi, was getting engaged........ My big day! I should be the prettiest and flawless in the ceremony. Our families agreed for this engagement after long effort. We met in the university and soon fell for each other but Shaheer's family was not approving this relation. After Shaheer's constant efforts, they finally agreed and brought proper proposal to our house.Now that we were finally getting engaged, I wanted everything to be perfect!

"Mam we are done. Plz take a look."
"Perfect!"

           I was looking really stunning .Sea green maxi embellished with intricate thread work and silver beads was making me look like a princess. Makeup was not soo heavy but still making me glow like a model,just the way i wanted it to be! Curled dyed hair were set on left shoulder. High heels with sea green stones were adding on the glittery glow of my maxi.

"Maano! Are you ready?" 

My mother asked while entering my room and was stunned when she saw me. Her beautiful blue eyes glowed with excitement.

" I knew my child was prettiest of all but this much beauty, I didn't expect! Shaheer will be mesmerised when he will see you!"

Mention of Shaheer always makes me blush. I love him alot afterall.

"Let's go, guests have arrived and everyone is waiting for the bride and groom 's magical enterance."

            The hall was filled with guests. Their were comfortable sofas for the guests. The sofas closest to the stage were, inside beautiful tents,and were reserved for VIPs. In the center of the hall, was the red carpet on which bride and groom were to walk towards the stage.
All the lights were dimmed and songs started playing, Me and Shaheer walked towards the stage amidst of the fireworks on both sides of the red carpet. Lights were turned on again after we reached the stage. I felt like I was finally complete as Ive got everything, My Prince Charming, My Love standing by my side, putting ring on my finger and making me his forever. In the sofas reserved for VIPs, I saw a lady wearing black embroided abaya, her face was covered with veil only her eyes were visible. She was looking extremely ODD sitting among the rest of the gathering.

                After the exchange of rings there were dances arranged by my cousins. As soon as the dances started That Lady in Black got up and left.First dances were of my cousins.They had practiced alot and were really awesome on stage. The last of the dances was Shaheer and Mine, the most awaited couple dance. In the focused stage light, I was feeling like a real princess, dancing with her beloved Man.He was looking soo gorgeous in Jet black pant and coat with white shirt  and sea green tie(matched with my dress). What more could I ask from life I had everything I was complete.After the dances guests got busy with dinner.Me and Shaheer were served on the stage.

" Shaheer You didn't tell me how am i looking today? "
" Average!
" he said coldly while eating rice

"What ??? Im gonna kill you Shaheer!

I punched him lightly on his shoulder. He laughed and came near me, looked into my eyes and whispered:
"I was just kidding love! you are stunning as always!

I blushed and my immense happiness could be easily seen in my eyes.

"Promise me, you won't change! You have to love me always like this ...promise? "

" Whatever you order, My Queen! "

" Promise me You will never  leave me" 

" How can I leave you? I can't live without you! If I were to leave you, why would I put soo much efforts to get my parents consent for our marriage? " he was kind of scolding me and I was getting happy for the first time in my life after someone's rebuke because my internal fears were getting settled.

After the ceremony, I was extremely tired. I changed clothes quickly and took a bath to remove layers of makeup. Lying on my bed, lost in memories of the day, I quickly fell asleep.

Next morning, I got up, having all the serotonin release subsided, all the excitement gone down, I found myself again staring in the mirror, asking the same question:

" I have everything , but why ? Why is there a big void in my soul? There is something big missing! Like  a part of me is stranded somewhere far away! Like I will lose everything in a second! Like Im not happy from within! My soul doesn't find peace! But Why???? Now that I have Shaheer, what else is left???? Why am I still hollow inside ??? Is this only my delusion??? To the people, my life is beyond perfect,  but then why???? When will I find true happiness ??? When will my anxious soul find peace?? " Disappointed, I turned away from the mirror and saw Mom entering my room with maid following her holding covered boxes.

" Maano, these are the gifts from guests for you. "

A glance at the black box, flashed in my mind, the memory of that lady in veil.

" Mom? Who was that lady wearing abaya, sitting in VIP area?? "

" Oh that ? She was Alima who,taught you recitation of Quran years back. What about her? "

" What about her???? Mom she was looking so odd!!! If she was to dress like this, why she came in the first place? Who called her by the way?? "

" My love, it was the demand of Shaheer's family. They have some sort of ritual that, the bride's first teacher of  Quran, must be present and should be given extreme importance! "

" Oh My God! Such absurd rituals! I was getting so irritated seeing her. Extremists like her, only belong in sermons, not in our esteemed gatherings. Did u notice she left so early."

" Yes, she came to me before leaving, and said that her blessings are with you, but she was not comfortable with the music, so she had to leave."

" See! Such extremists think only they are the upholders of the flag of Islam. The think only they are pious and superior, all the rest are filthy! I want to ask her why she dressed this way? It was soo embarrassing! How was she even breathing?? "

" Leave her now! Come on lets open the gifts!"
" Yes Mom ."

         The same evening, I had to go with Shaheer to review our photos of the photoshoot so that they could be developed. We were busy talking with each other, crossing the commercial area of  Model Colony when,suddenly, the car stopped. Shaheer tried his best to start the car again but with zero success. He stepped out and looked for a mechanic in the nearby shops. He came back to inform me that he couldn't find one but, has called his father, who, was sending a mechanic for our help. I looked at the building we were standing infront of, that seemed unusually familiar! I glanced at the board saying " Jamiat ul Noor " ( The School of Divine light)

         I immediately recalled, it was the place where I learned recitation of Quran because back then, our family lived nearby.That black lady taught here and lived here.Without any thought,I stepped out of the car and entered the building, the reason of which, I myself don't know! I reached the main hall where I could listen with thumping heart the words echoing :

" Verily in the remembrance of Allah, hearts do find peace "