Chapter Ten ~ Electricity

Thank you to HalloPhoenix for the incredibly seasonal graphic above! the covers you sent me where divine 🧡

Comment of chapter nine: sophiextorres 🔥

This chapter is one of my favs (and a nice long one for you guys, happy Tuesday!!)

On Friday afternoon I skipped class and arrived at Penelope's apartment with a duffle beneath my elbow

On Friday afternoon I skipped class and arrived at Penelope's apartment with a duffle beneath my elbow. It was filled to the brim with clothes and accessories, all coordinated by me thanks to Penelope's radio silence for the entire remainder of the week. If I didn't see the large sum land in my bank account, I'd be worried that she'd fired me. Nonetheless, I kept up my regular texts, struggling to find anything she might consider juicy.

It was a good thing I was about to spend at least twenty-four hours with her person of interest. I just needed to get past Felix to actually find something of value. That was going to be the tricky part.

I heard them before I saw them—obnoxious bass blasting down the street, the wolf whistle as Felix saw me standing at the curb. If I'd been any later in the Uber, they might have seen me getting out. I loosened my shoulders in relief and held out my thumb to feign hitch-hiking.

Cole was driving an olive-colored Datsun seemingly stuffed with bodies. I already knew Felix was in the front seat by his grinning face poking from the passenger seat window, the breeze tossing his hair around his face.

"Josie! Perfect timing!"

Perfect timing indeed.

As soon as the car pulled to the curb Felix stepped out and took my duffle, flinging it over his shoulder and leaning in to hug me. I dodged his lips, just in case. I didn't want to give any reason for him to suspect something if he tried and I pulled away, after all.

He put my bag in the trunk and opened up the back door, where Poppy and Jada were crammed next to each other and surrounded by an abundance of snacks.

"Slide on in!" Poppy said, gesturing to the seat behind Felix. I pushed aside any shy-ness of having my knees pressed against hers and fell into the seat, making sure to buckle up.