Chapter Eighteen ~ Cordial Invitation

I'll add in a graphic and comment of the chapter soon (I'm half asleep!!), but I promised you guys a double so here it is! ❤️ hope you still like cliff hangers 😉

You were right, I wrote. He is cheating. I'm sorry Penelope.

I sent her the dim-lighted picture I'd caught on my phone. Then, I ordered an Uber home. Cole and the girl had gone inside now. There was nothing more to see.

Penelope didn't reply to my message for days. On the bright side, it gave me the chance to pretend for a while that I wasn't playing double-agent. On the down side, I had no idea what she was doing.

Her silence was broken on Thursday afternoon when an envelope arrived at my door, shoved under by one of my housemates. I picked it up, my heart lurching at the thought it was another attempt to contact me from my mother.

But, it wasn't from my family.

Joselyn Preston,

You are cordially invited to celebrate the birthday of Penelope Aldgate as the guest of Felix Bradford. The masquerade ball commences at nine.

The invitation was decorated with red glittering swirls flourishing its border, shining in the fluorescent light of my bedroom. It was scheduled for next weekend, and I vaguely recalled Penelope mentioning it before. I didn't realize how formal she was expecting it to be, but I guess it made sense.

I met Felix on campus. He was wearing headphones, nodding his head from side to side as he scrolled through his phone. I sat in front of him at his seat at Beanz.

He jumped when I tapped his fingers, his look of concentration shifting to a broad grin. "Your music taste is divine."

"You're listening to my playlist?"

He gave a trademark Felix wink and pulled his headphones from his ears. "I was looking forward to talking to you."

"Oh?"

"Are you free next weekend?"

"Depends," I said, already knowing what was about to come.

"Cole's girlfriend is throwing a huge party. I talked to her about inviting you along, I know there's already going to be loads of people so a plus one won't hurt," he said, grabbing my hands from across the table.

My heart lurched and I felt my cheeks heat. "Sure."

"It'll be super formal, knowing her. And masquerade, so you'll have to dress up. If you need any help finding something, I know the girls can help."

"Please, you think I need help to dress formal?" I challenge, running a hand up and down my worn knitted jumper and black distressed jeans. I'd given up on Penelope's fashion ideals a while ago. I was already accepted by her friends, after all.