Chapter Twelve ~ Trifecta

Comment of Chapter Eleven is by misunderstoodgenius 🧡🧡

I watched as Sebastian stepped towards me, filling my glass with glittering gold champagne

I watched as Sebastian stepped towards me, filling my glass with glittering gold champagne. I looked out of place here in my denim overall dress, but none of that compared to how uncomfortable I felt on the inside. I'd told Sebastian I was bringing a boy in a last minute text to even confirm my attendance—I'd really pulled a one-eighty on the poor guy. I was sure he wasn't even expecting me to show, and then I'd arrived in Felix's sporty car. With Felix.

"So you guys met in class, how sweet," Remy said, a hand on his chin as he devoured Felix. He was probably glad there was someone to give his attention to other than me. I was okay with that, though. I needed a buffer for a reason.

"Psst," Seb hissed, pinching my arm.

"Ouch!"

"Come into the kitchen and help with the entrée."

I cast a secret disgruntled look towards Felix, who seemed to be oddly amused under Remy's scrutiny.

"Why did you suddenly conjure up a boyfriend tonight?" Seb asked in a quiet tone, carefully ensuring his voice wouldn't carry.

"You never said I couldn't bring a plus one," I pointed out, leaning over to take a swab at the cake he'd ordered for dessert. He swatted my hand away.

"Not my question, Josie. And this situation isn't funny. Things are serious. Have you even been dating him that long? You've told me nothing about him."

"That's because you hate everything I do, anyway," I muttered, but I knew that wasn't true. Sebastian was the last person left in my family that I could talk to, after all.

I narrowed my eyes as he started setting out china plates on the kitchen island, ready to be filled with food. "Seb, why are there five—"

The doorbell rang, and a high-octave 'I'll get it!' from Remy had me stiffen.

"Sebastian." My voice was a haunting pitch of warning.

Seb didn't meet my eyes, he just averted his gaze and continued to pour vegetable soup into five different bowls to sit atop the plates.