Chapter Thirteen ~ Roots

Hey guys, TBS has a new cover! Do you like this one better or prefer the old?

Comment of Chapter Twelve goes to fluffy-waffles 😅

I've been so excited to post this chapter 😩💖 hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

He tasted like sugar from the cola he'd ordered and his lips were soft against my own

He tasted like sugar from the cola he'd ordered and his lips were soft against my own. I wanted to moan in relief, to lose myself in just kissing him for a moment. To forget about everything that happened and just transport myself back to that night at the beach house.

My fingers trailed through his hair and his dipped beneath my overalls, playing with the bottom of my shirt. His hands were rough and warm against my skin, and I found myself unbuckling the seatbelt to get closer, to take every tame encounter we'd had since the beach house and transform it into something raw and hungry. I wanted to rip apart everything creating our fragile connection and instead forge it with unsatiated kisses.

He kissed me until my lips were hot and my breath uneven, my hair a mess of wild tendrils.

"Stay with me tonight," he said. He didn't need to ask me now, he already knew.

I ignored every thought of Penelope that tried to spring into my mind—and there were a lot of them. I couldn't afford to worry about that now, not when every other part of me was breaking. All I wanted was to embrace the one tether I had to normality. No, it wasn't even normality. Felix Bradford was anything but normal.

When we arrived at his, I dumped my purse onto the counter, our arms already linked around each other as we breached the threshold, entwined as he led me up the spiral stairs to his bedroom, too busy to admire the décor as I pulled him onto the bed. It wasn't like the various Tinder hookups I'd had over the last few months—physical and short-lived—it was so much more, a deep chasm of emotion opening in my heart, filled with pain and stress and vulnerability and now flushed with something else. A momentary heat that welded me together. Felix.

On his bed, my fingers pulled up the cotton of his shirt, his skin hot. He'd turned on the lamp, a golden glow filling the room, but this time I could see more than I did in the candlelight of the beach house. I kissed his ribs, letting my hands wander across the muscles of his back. He turned over so he could turn on another switch, one that ignited lanterns trimming the walls. My eyes caught on a shadow on his back.