Chapter Twenty-Six ~ Aftermath

The final comment of the chapter goes to summerwind17!!

But, it's not your last chance for a shout out! I'm going to have a 'from the readers' section at the start of the book where I'll be putting some of your thoughts in for new readers, AND I'll be choosing some honourary comments from this chapter to shout out in future bonuses.

I really hope you enjoy the final chapter!💖💖

I arrived out the front of Penelope's apartment, and naturally began questioning everything

I arrived out the front of Penelope's apartment, and naturally began questioning everything. Was she even going to be home? What if her security escorted me out? I had no idea what was going to happen, but still, I knocked on the door.

A woman answered. She was short and dressed in uniform, and I gave her a polite smile. "Hi, I'm Penelope's friend!"

The woman nodded wordlessly and ushered me in. So much for security.

"I thought you might be coming."

Penelope, a picture of poise and grace, sat cross legged on her sofa, leaning on an elbow as she filed her nails. Her hair cascaded in turquoise braids woven with silver beads.

"Like it? I just had it done."

I ignored her, moving so I was standing in front of her, arms crossed. "Ask your staff to leave."

She raised an eye brow, as if astounded I'd demand anything of her.

But, after a few moments, she waved a hand in the direction of the few staff moving around her kitchen. They obeyed her, scurrying out of the room.

"Your final paycheck should be processed this week. Then, we're done."

"I don't want any more money from you," I said, willing strength into my tone. She rose to her feet, now towering above me even in just her slippers.

"Then, leave."

I pulled the flash drive from my pocket.

"This is a copy of every contract you made with each of us," I said. "Proving you are just some lonely rich girl paying everyone to be your friend. You even paid your so-called boyfriend. He didn't cheat on you. He just tried moving on with his life."