Chapter Twenty Two ~ Broken Glass

Thanks for your patience guys! This week is going to be super hectic for me and I wanna make sure what I upload is of quality, so next update will be Friday 💖 hope you understand!

🖤 I LOVE plot twists (which you probably know by now). Comment of the chapter goes to sparksofmadness 🖤

 Comment of the chapter goes to sparksofmadness 🖤

"Hi." I didn't really know what to do. I started fidgeting with my rings again.

"Hey," Paisley replied, her voice flat. Her hand was still resting on his. She smiled sweetly, but I got the sense she would have preferred if I didn't interrupt them.

Felix finally straightened and stepped towards me.

"I know this is crazy but, Penelope invited her—it turns out, well, there's a lot more to the story," Felix said, low enough that Paisley wouldn't overhear. I was still frozen in my position. Something about seeing them together made it feel like my throat was splintering. "I'll explain everything."

"It's okay," I said hoarsely, echoing his words from earlier in the night. "You don't have to explain anything to me."

"Josie." His hand was on my wrist, but I gently tugged it free. I gave him a sad smile and walked backward, back into the cascade of people as my heart spasmed wildly. I wanted to be lost in the faces, to pretend I wasn't here at all. I turned and searched the masked strangers, wondering just where I could go to disappear amongst the sequins and silk.

"Josie!" Poppy said as I crossed her path, pulling me from my desperate daze. She must have seen the distress behind my mask because straight away her cheerful smile marred in concern. "What's wrong?"

All I wanted to do was to pretend that Poppy was really my friend. She was probably one of the nicest people I'd ever met, and the guilt that she'd been pulled into this mess had me churning in a toxic ache, like thick oil was coating my skin. Even her own girlfriend was working behind her back.

"I-I'm sorry," I said quickly. I couldn't look her in the eye.

Her brows furrowed and her hand reached for my shoulders. "Are you okay?"