Chapter Fifteen ~ Take it Slow

Credit to sabagul28 for the graphic above!

Comment of Chapter Fourteen goes to walkingecho you guys know I can't resist a plot twist/cliffhanger 😉💖

Any hopes of me coming clean about my undercover job were up in flames as Penelope wordlessly tapped beats onto the leather with her manicured nails

I swallowed, my throat dry. "This isn't what you think it is."

"I don't think it matters what it is, what matters is what it means," she said. I had to give it to her, she could have been a lot more smug about blackmailing me. At least she was somewhat neutral as she stared me down. "It means I'll keep you're secrets if you keep mine. And tell me all of Cole's."

I had no choice. I just nodded.

Later that night, after letting my tears run through the shower and folding myself in my thick robe, I opened Seb's messages. He was, of course, extremely apologetic. He kept saying Mom manipulated him into it. But he knew that I knew her manipulation even better than him. He could have come to me.

Everything was so much more complicated than I thought.

Sebastian might be the only person who would understand the bombshell that had been dropped on me today. That somehow, that document really did exist. I wondered how I could even face Felix in class for the rest of the week. How could I face anyone?

In the end, I missed the next day of college. I stayed in my room watching TV and sleeping, wishing I could devise a way out of this. In the old days I'd call in the family attorney. As soon as my family's reputation was at risk my parents would take care of it. But it wasn't their reputation anymore. It was mine.

Felix called at noon.

"You weren't in class," he said. I could hear his engine in the background, he must have been driving.

"I'm sick," I said. It was half true. I did feel pretty sick.

"Well, want me to bring you something?"