CHAPTER I

Who willingly lives in comparison? That's just ridiculous and torturous at the same time, right? Chloe thought.

She stared blankly far across the glass window of the room where she was sitting alone, her mind fleeting. Heaving another deep breath for maybe the hundredth time of this day. She really needed to be distracted. Cause her mind is really in chaos, always battling her own thoughts in which, at the end of the day a decision was un-made.

Her eyes caught a glimpse of him. Most certainly, she would feel all excited at the sight of the man, but now though she still feels the same, it was mixed with a heavy feeling. For the last few days, or maybe even years now, she lost count already, she can't seem to shake off the man in her thoughts. That's why she had worked hard to avoid him.

The field outside the room wasn't that far. She saw a few students in the campus passes by the room, she was just staring again ̶ blankly ahead.

She stayed like that for the next few minutes, however, not until when Tom walked across the quad, standing in front of the glass window of the room in which Chloe was in. He's smiling widely at her, happy that he saw her after a few days that they hadn't talked or seen each other.

He knocked on the window, causing Chloe to almost jump in her seat as their eyes met.

"Shit." Chloe cursed under her breath. She would be lying if she tells that his sudden appearance was the only reason her heart was beating like she had run a marathon.

But she wouldn't admit that, would she?

Cause if she'll be honest, her heart is always like this whenever she sees him. That's just the effect of Tom on Chloe.

Tom motioned his hands to tell Chloe to meet him outside, he couldn't take his eyes off her, afraid that she might just run away from him. Chloe got the message through the gesture and nodded her head as a response after hesitating a bit, gathering all her belongings as she stood up from her seat. She mentally reminded herself that she shouldn't be with him, unless, she had cleared her thoughts. But she knew too well that she wouldn't be able to get away from him this time.

It wasn't going to be that easy.

He patiently waited for Chloe in the back door of the room, with a goofy smile plastered on his face. A minute later, Chloe came out from the door, forcing a smile so he wouldn't have to ask her what's wrong.

"There you are!" Tom said in an excited tone.

He wasn't that dumb to not notice that Chloe was rather quiet, which was unusual. The girl was a 'talker' after all. His eyes squinted a bit, in which he only does whenever he is suspecting if whether there is something wrong or not.

She tried to play it innocent. It wasn't that difficult for Chloe to give him her generous smile, even if she thought it was torturous enough to be with him, he could still make her smile, which makes things harder for her. She started to walk, wanting to create some distance from him, silence being the main barrier between them.

"Is something wrong?" he asked worriedly while speeding up to catch up to her. She glanced at him, still smiling as she shook her head slightly.

She holds on to the strap of her sling bag as if it gives her support, any kind of support that she needs. He, however, does not buy her response acceptable, but he knew it wouldn't be right if he pushes her to speak any further.