What Happened?

****2am****

I woke up to blinding lights and the beeping of a machine I knew all too well. I looked around the room and could see Ruby and Iain asleep on the chairs next to the bed I was in. I looked down at Iain's hand gripping mine in his sleep, smiling weakly I squeezed his hand back hoping to wake him up. However he didn't react so I removed my hand from his gently running it through his hair causing him to stir from his sleep. 

"El?" he asked sitting up suddenly causing Ruby to wake up as well, "I'll go and get Dylan" Ruby said rushing out of the room to find him. I watched Ruby leave before turning back to Iain, "Mia?" I asked remembering that she was the one who had jumped from the bridge. Iain simply shook his head, "They tried everything" he assured me and I nodded looking around the room once more, "Where's Sam?" I asked confused as to why she wasn't here. 

When my question was met with silence, I turned to face Iain again seeing the tears form in his eyes, "No" I whispered in shock as tears spilled from my own eyes, "How?" I asked confused, "She was fine. I saw her. She-" Iain cut me off, "The explosion. She was hit by shrapnel, I couldn't save her" He mumbled looking down. I sat up wrapping my arms around him, "You did everything you could Iain" I said placing a kiss on his cheek, "It's gonna be okay. We're gonna be okay" I spoke reassuringly as I attempted to put on a brave face.

It was at this moment that Dylan walked in and began checking me over and explaining my injuries to me. As Dylan talked I couldn't help but think about the situation that we were in. All I could think about was how it was all our fault.

Mia's dead. Sam's dead. So many others. and it's our fault. My fault. 

****the next day****
Much to Dylan's dismay, I had discharged myself after a full night of observations and was now stood outside the ED about to call a taxi. I took my phone out of my pocket to see low battery alongside multiple texts and calls that I had missed. 63 missed calls from Fraser. 51 missed calls from James and 48 missed calls from Alex along with a number of texts asking where I am and if I'm okay. I stared at the screen not sure who to respond to first or even how I should respond when Dylan walked over to me, "Come on" he said gesturing for me to follow him. I looked at him confused before he held out his keys, "I'll take you home" he elaborates and I nodded following him to his car.