The Aftermath

The ride home was filled with an uncomfortably tense silence, both of us wanting to say something but neither of us wanting to speak about the events of that evening. When we arrived outside my apartment building both Dylan and I got out of the car and he walked me to the front door of my building. Just before I went to step inside I turned to Dylan, "Thank you" I spoke quietly as he nodded his head in response, "Could I-" I paused for a moment and he gestured for me to continue, "Would you mind if I hugged you?" I asked not wanting to do something out of his comfort zone. All it took was a slight nod for me to launch myself into his arms. We both had a tight grip on each other neither of us uttering a word.

After a few moments, we both pulled away from the hug. I gave him a slight smile and as my eyes glazed over with tears I turned to enter the building, waving slightly as I went. The second I stepped into the lift I could feel hot tears spilling over onto my cheeks at a rapid pace. Once I had got to my floor I took a moment to compose myself, attempting to sort my hair out before realising that I was in such a state that my hair was the least of my problems. I looked at myself in the reflection of the lift doors, I had cuts and grazes all down the side of my face and arm as well as a black eye from the initial impact of the crash, "Christ" I said scanning myself and letting out a shaky breath attempting and failing to prepare myself for the reactions that I will get from the boys.

Taking another breath, I grab my keys from my bag and unlock the door. As I walked through the door I noticed that all three of the boys were sat on the sofa next to each other. Each of them turning to look at me as I drop my bag to the floor, and brace myself for whatever is about to happen. "WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?" Fraser shouted causing me to flinch slightly at the sudden noise. I didn't say anything for a moment, trying to piece the night's events together in a way that I could say aloud. 

It was at this moment that I realised nobody had said a word as we were all frozen in place, staring at each other. The three boys clearly shocked as they took in my dishevelled appearance. Fraser quickly stood up, causing me to jump as he suddenly appeared in front of me. "What happened?" he asked in a whisper that was barely audible, as his hands made their way to the sides of my face, careful not to put pressure on the bruising that was now fully formed. "I-"  my voice wavered, unsure of how much I should tell him. 

"I'm okay" I said, "I wouldn't exactly say you look okay El" James tried lightening the mood, I smiled gratefully at the boy. "I know, what I mean is it's just a few cuts and bruises there's nothing physically wrong with me. I'm okay." I explained, looking Fraser in the eye as he tried to determine if I was telling the truth, "Honestly Fraser" I reassured him as best I could. "What happened?" he asked again, "It was an accident but I'm fine. Everyone's fine. Everything's fine" I chuckled slightly in an attempt to make my statement more light hearted and believable. I could tell that they weren't quite sure whether to take my answer as the truth but they didn't push me for more details. 

"Right. I need a shower" I announced looking down at my dirty clothes as the boys all nodded in what seemed like agreement. "Before you go El" James started as I began to walk away, stopping to hear what he wanted, "Does this mean you have some time off?" He finished, "Yeah, I'm not sure how long though. Probably about a week" I answered slightly confused as to why he was asking before turning and making my way to the bathroom.