CHAPTER 10

The kiss refused to leave Claire's lips for so many hours since yesterday evening

The kiss refused to leave Claire's lips for so many hours since yesterday evening. Her cheeks flushed at the mere remembrance of Ryan's mouth taking charge of hers, easily destroying her private vow to keep herself sexually uninvolved as she'd been doing for the past four years until she was absolutely sure of the guy.

This is madness! Claire scolded herself while pushing her unbidden desire back to wherever they came from.

"Don't fall for his charms, Claire Levy. You and him... it's not gonna work," she thought out loud, oblivious that she was in the café although alone at an empty table at the corner.

"What's not going to work?" A charming voice snapped her from her trance.

She nearly jumped from her seat before yelling, "Bruno!" in a frantic voice.

"The one and only." He was here, staring at her with a grin rich with mischief. "You were talking to yourself loud enough. Having problems?" he quizzed, a slight concern on his face as he pulled a chair away from the table.

A problem? No. It was more of a situation and she had to immediately snap out of it. Claire smiled a bit illusively, her eyes trailing his movement until he took a seat across from her.

"It's nothing, and you're late," she said casually, changing the subject.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, beautiful. The traffic was bad but I still couldn't miss the chance of seeing you. Did you wait long?" Bruno asked.

"Not really. How are you?" Claire sipped her abandoned juice once again, nearly downing the glass as the weather had warmed up today and it was very bright outside.

A normal peaceful day.

"Great." Bruno smiled sweetly while rolling up the sleeves of his casual, button-up shirt, and then he propped his elbows on the table. Sighing, he urgently said, "I also have to meet Ryan in a few minutes so... how about we go together if you don't have other plans? I mean, we can just have lunch and talk and I'll be more than pleased." He grinned, hopeful.

Ryan? Hell no!

"No, I can't," Claire replied promptly.

"Oh, come on!" Bruno cried, binding his big palms together pleadingly. "Just one hour and we'll be done. No, just thirty minutes! I just want to..." Rearing back, he ran a hand through his ruffled curls, suddenly perplexed. "Well, I just want us all together as it's been two years since I had such moments with him and everyone else around here."

Claire scowled at that, unable to fully understand him, in general, the more they got closer each new day. If she thought Ryan was a package of mystery, then Bruno was slowly turning the tables.

"Bruno, are you scared of your brother?" she uttered her exact thoughts, staring at him inquisitively. He was tapping his fingers restlessly on the table. "This is exactly what happened the last time you took me to your house. You needed a sidekick; I wasn't dense not to notice, and it's what you're doing now. What's going on with you? Why are you afraid of them while they're your family?"