CHAPTER 11

"You're such a jerk," Claire attacked him through the phone

"So I've heard," Ryan replied coolly. "Why exactly do I owe you an apology?"

Annoyed, Claire rose to her feet while barking. "Seriously? You kissed me just yesterday, Ryan, and then I found out that... that..." that you have a girlfriend and made me look like a fool. She couldn't say it. "Never mind. I only wanted to tell you that you're a total jerk, AND THERE! I SAID IT!"

A short tense moment passed until she heard, "I believe you kissed me first, Claire, and if I didn't kiss you back, you'd be left with so much conflict as to why I didn't do it. And if I'm not mistaken, a chain of questions would be dangling in your head: didn't he like it? How does he see me now after what I did? Or worse... Am I a terrible kisser? So all I wanted was—"

"Shut up! Just shut the fuck up!" Claire snapped, her fist clenched so tightly. Not even the increasing rain outside could fray her anger this time, mainly because everything the bastard said was true if she was honest with herself. Running her fingers through her hair, she finally said, "So, are you trying to say that you merely did me a favor by returning the kiss? Is that it?"

Please don't yes. Please don't crush my dignity even more. She prayed inwardly, hoping she wasn't delusional about his reasons for kissing her back.

"Don't ever sell yourself short, Claire. I said no such thing," Ryan replied calmly. "I was dying to kiss you from the moment I picked you up, and I don't regret doing it even if you think I'm a jerk. But if it's an apology you want, then I'm sorry for kissing you even if I'm sure you loved it as much as I did."

Cocky! Claire hared it but a warm frisson of excitement ran through her spine, and momentarily her breath shallowed. What was he doing to her? And mostly....why?

"Now the real question is," Ryan went on, "why is it so important for you to know why I kissed you back, huh? By any chance, are you attracted to me, Claire?" His deep voice burned Claire's composure, and the phone turned hot against her ear.

Bastard! Was this some kind of revenge or what?

"You wish!" Her flustered voice filled the air in her room, and soon Ryan's carefree laughter filled her ears.

He laughed and laughed until he managed to say, "Okay, then. Let's both settle with that. Is it raining over there?"

"Um... yeah?"

"And I can tell you're okay," he muttered, as though he was confirming something that drew Claire's eyebrows together immediately. But before she could respond anyhow, he quickly added, "So... you left in such a hurry because of Doris?"

The audacity he has! Claire dropped heavily onto the bed.

"No, I left because of me," Claire recoiled, and it was foolish of her to send him a text after everything she'd witnessed today. "What? You wanted me to see the girl you kissed having a friendly chat with your girlfriend or something?"