ζ

Society is deeply flawed. Stratification of the population, wars, hatred. Some are trying to make changes but not nearly enough people willingly transform their ways because of it.

One of the things that need a big change is education. The segregation of boys and girls when it comes to schooling is absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that the majority of children getting proper education are from wealthy or influential families. With their school in town, Keerie Sotades and Harry are trying to change it at least a little bit. But not everything can be done there.

Ever since Harry started teaching at the school, he has been tutoring a few girls in his neighbourhood. It's in his own free time but they deserve an education too and it's not like Harry has anything better to do besides taking care of the house. He and his mother don't live in a mansion so he can omit the time spent there.

These past few weeks, he's been tutoring just three girls from town - Eudoxia, Narkissa and Parthenope. They're all eager to learn and it makes Harry feel like he has a purpose in life. Giving all these children knowledge when they would not have been able to earn it somewhere else is special.

Today they studied mainly grammar and a little bit of history. It's important that they've perfected their basics so they often revise in between learning about poetry and singing new songs.

"Keerie Harry, will we do counting next week?" Narkissa asks as she hands her wax tablet to Harry so he can check her writing. "I don't like it but I need to get better at it."

"Sure," Harry smiles at her, handing her the tablet back. No mistakes as usual. "What kind of trouble are you having with counting?"

"The numbers look weird," Narkissa pouts. "And I want to open my own fruit shop when I'm older. I need to know how to count."

"A new occupation?" Harry wonders. "You are a busy lady, Narkissa. Didn't you want to be the ruler of Athens not long ago?"

"That's too much work," Narcissa sighs. "And men always yell about politics. I don't like that anymore."

"That's a wise decision," Harry nods. "What about you girls? Have you given the future any thoughts?"

Eudoxia and Parthenope both take a moment to weigh their answers.

"I want to be a poet," Parthenope speaks first. "Like Sapphó. I liked the poems you read to us last time. Songs are pretty too."

"Keerie Harry, do you think I could join the Amazons?" Eudoxia asks Harry. It's so innocent and hopeful that even if he wanted to, Harry could never find that question amusing.

"That's a difficult question," Harry replies. "I believe that you must be born an Amazon. But what can you know? Perhaps they would let you join them if you were really good with the spear."

Eudoxia nods a few times. "Then I will train. I'm gonna be very strong and I will kill bad men in battles."

"You will," Harry affirms her dream. "And I'm gonna be very proud of you. If I'm ever having trouble, I will call for you and then you will save, right?"

"Of course, Keerie Harry," Eudoxia grins. "But can we go now? We wanted to play by the river before lunchtime."

"Certainly," Harry stands up from his chair, officially ending the lesson. "Don't forget that besides counting, we will do some training next time. Don't tell your mums because they will be very angry with me. See you all in six days."

With a chorus of goodbyes, the girls run off from the school, leaving Harry watching after them. Their youthful cheerfulness is a wonderful sight to see. The world would be a lot better place if more people kept this attitude past their younger years.