η

Many moons come and go, bearing witness to the flourishing of Harry and Zayn's relationship. They travel, make love in their house, talk about their lives and the world. Sometimes it's hard to forget that Zayn isn't just Harry's lover, that he's also a God and a King, and a husband to someone else that Harry's never met. Despite that, Zayn makes Harry immensely happy. He's able to break the mundane circle of Harry's life in the town and bring some long-lost excitement. Harry wasn't lying when he said he enjoyed his untethered life because he loves it. It allows him to be Zayn's lover to the extent that he is. Their future is hidden in a cloud of mist, never really allowing them to see it further than a little time ahead but that seems like a minuscule thing to them.

Rumours have started moving across town, that Harry has a lover and no one can figure out who it is. Usually, it wasn't a problem for the old people always sitting on benches near the agora to know all the hot gossip about the young people. They're always the first people to know who is sleeping with whom, who's gotten knocked up and who's cheating on who. Harry's divine rendezvous truly put a worm in their brains. Naturally, Harry's mother caught a whiff of this, disapproving immediately.

That's how Makarios' gathering becomes an attempted engagement party for Harry.

The whole walk to Makarios' house, Harry's mother is talking his ears off about different girls from "good" families that he could marry, talking about dowries and what not. He mostly tunes her out though. After years of this, he's gotten quite good at ignoring proposed marriages by his mother.

Once they arrive at the gathering, Makarios and his wife Kendake greet them at the door, thanking them for the figs that they brought and invite them inside. Makarios is one of the most well-known and most liked people in the town so it feels like absolutely everyone is there for his 50th birthday. It's absolutely packed, with people filling up the moderately-sized living room and spilling out into the garden where the fire pit is.

Harry sets out to find his sister, leaving his mother with her friends the second he can. He knows they would all just offer up some daughters for marriage if he stayed. As he makes his way around the party, he greets a few people, mainly his friends and some parents of his students. And when he gets outside, he spots Gemma almost immediately.

She's talking to Sophronia with a wine cup in her hand and Harry feels at ease right away. He hasn't seen her in quite some time since she spends most of her days travelling, both for pleasure and business. She doesn't notice Harry until he's almost right next to her and Sophronia but the moment she does, a big smile breaks out onto her face.

"There's my baby brother," she grins and hugs Harry. "I missed you. I haven't seen you in so damn long."

"If you came home more often and didn't avoid our house like the plague that wouldn't be the case," Harry remarks but tightens his arms around Gemma anyway. Even if many things that tried to drive them apart happened, Harry will always love his sister. No one can keep him from it.

"Nonsense," Gemma scoffs dramatically.

"I'll let you two reunite properly. I will find you later," Sophronia smiles, squeezing Harry's arm. She retreats with an understanding smile from both Harry and Gemma.

"So, I've heard some gossip," Gemma nudges Harry with her elbow. "Spill. Let us see what the facts are. Man and the myth."

Harry rolls his eyes and steals her wine. "The matter of who I'm fucking and who's fucking me is not relevant. What about you? Have you met someone on your travells who would melt your icy heart? Will you be the better child and please our mother with marriage?"

Gemma laughs freely. "Absolutely not. I am so fucking happy alone you have no idea. There is nothing better than coming back home and having absolutely no one there. The silence is exquisite. I was just asking because no one can figure who you're fucking. Even the old Ptolema is clueless. Is it Priamos again?"