Anxeit (2)

I don't know what this is

-------

Inseparable

Sharing a bed, a desk at school, food at meals. Constantly together. Although Virgil was younger than him, Ethan was more than ready to spend all the time in the world looking after him.

Even as they grew up, they never strayed from eachother. Virgils anxiety grew with age, repetitive nightmares began. Chasing a ball out onto a road, and waking up right as a car was going to hit him, an angry man he had never seen before throwing him around. A woman he had never met dying right before him. Nightmares which made no sense to anyone. Ethan understood everything and always knew how to help. From talking it out to movie nights.

There was never an argument, they always understood eachother, if they did disagree, they couldn't avoid one another, both developing ways to deal with conflict other than fighting.

Virgil was fascinated with spiders, and Ethan grew to love snakes. Soon they had two enclosures in Virgils room, one with a white corn snake, by the name of anx, and a taransula in the other, named Dee.

By the time they were around 11, Virgil's parents started getting concerned. They were constantly together, their son was missing out on exploring the world, simply because of this friend. He had no other friends, and was set to start at a new school.

At the age of 14, Virgil dyed his hair purple for the first time after seeing it online. Ethan watched from his perch on the counter, laughing at Virgil's concentration face. Ethan then had yellow hair, his favourite colour. Virgils style became darker, more ripped and emo. Ethan followed.

Then Virgil met Patton at college, which lead to Logan, and later Roman and Thomas too. Soon he had friends. Remy and Emile from the dorm room next to his and Ethan's. Magenta from art. Joan from film studies. Talyn from backstage production.

Ethan was still there.

They still shared a bed, but there was no late night conversations. They still shared a desk, but there was no laughing. They were still together, but Ethan was not being seen.

Ethan stopped accompanying him when he left the room. Virgil didn't notice.

Ethan stopped joining him in bed at night. Virgil didn't mind.

Ethan stopped being visible. Virgil didn't care.

Ethan watched over him, always there to protect him. He knew that if he hadn't been so stupid. If he didn't run after that ball. If he had stopped to check if there was cars coming.

He should be the best man at Virgil's wedding, not Patton. He should be helping to raise Virgil's kids, not Roman. He should be the one to help Virgil and Logan find a home to retire in, not Thomas.

He just had to wait.

Wait for Virgil to go outside to collect the news paper one morning.

Wait for the wind to carry it onto the road.

Wait for Virgil to step out without checking the traffic.

Wait for the distracted driver to....