a forgotten anniversary

"Hmm...Katsuki?" you murmured drowsily, rubbing the bleariness away from your eyes as you felt a weight shift on the bed.

"Morning, sweetheart." Bakugou smiled when he noticed you were awake, giving you a kiss on the forehead as you blinked at him. His hair was damp from a shower and the only thing he was wearing were black briefs and an unbuttoned, white work shirt. "Go back to bed. It's still early."

And any other day, you would have done just that– Snuggle deeper into the covers and sleep until your alarm went off.

But today wasn't any other day. Today was your one year anniversary with Bakugou, as well as his first day off since forever ago and you weren't about to let that go to waste. Even if that meant losing a precious hour of sleep.

"Why are you getting dressed up already?" You rolled over to your side, peering up at him with your head resting on your palm. "It's your day off. You should come back to bed and...relax."

The lazy smile and heavy-lidded expression on your face told him you were suggesting something other than just relaxing.

A look of amusement formed on his face, but Katsuki continued to button down his shirt, causing you to frown at the loss of the sight of his muscular, tanned torso.

"I know it's my day off, but there's some work for a case I need to finish before the weekend," he said gruffly, slightly apologetic. "The minute it's over, though, I'm all yours."

Your head tilted to the side. Sure, you understood being a Pro Hero took a lot of hard work and dedication, but surely your anniversary would be worth missing a day– A day he already had off, mind you.

"But...you're always working," you said, trying your best not to sound disappointed. You rose to a sitting position and crawled closer to Bakugou, resting your head on his shoulder. "Don't you want to spend this special day at home?"

There was a brief look of confusion on his face as he took a break from cuffing his sleeves at the forearms. "I know I don't get day offs often, but calling today special is a bit of an exaggeration."

You sucked in a sharp breath, chest feeling heavy as you blinked slowly up at him. Not special? Did Katsuki mean he didn't think your one year anniversary together was special? Or was it that he didn't even know it was today?

Either option was enough to make your heart feel like it was torn in two.

"Oh." You removed your chin from its position on his shoulder, slowly pulling back.

Sensing the shift in your demeanour, Bakugou stood from the edge of the bed, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear before kissing you chastely on the lips. "Don't look so sad, baka, it's only another day at work. We'll have the entire weekend together."

Yes, but, your anniversary wasn't this weekend. It was today.

You tried to stop your lower lip from trembling.

"R-Right," you said in a small voice. Though you've known him for a long time, you've only been together for a year. Maybe anniversaries just weren't his thing– And it seemed too early in your relationship to overstep and try to convince him otherwise.

He finished rolling up his sleeves so they exposed his toned forearms and changed into a pair of fitted black work pants that you thought made his butt look incredible, but you were so crestfallen that he actually forgot just what day it was, you couldn't even bring yourself to comment on how handsome he looked in those clothes and how much better he would look without them.