Bridge-climbing (mini-chapter)

Connor laughed. It was frantic and nervous. He was desperately trying to hide the fact that he was terrified of climbing on a bridge 130 meters over the ocean, so he was pacing and smiling like a maniac to convince himself that he was okay.

            “Is your friend alright?” their instructor pointed to Troye, because however nervous Connor was, it was nothing compared to the boy whose greatest fear was heights.

            Troye was noticeably shaking and looked like he was on the verge of tears. Bethany had an arm around him and was trying to calm him, but Troye didn’t even respond. Connor walked over, pushing his own fear away, and smiled at Troye.

            “Do you mind?” he looked at Bethany, and she nodded, giving Troye one last reassuring squeeze.

            “I really thought I could do this.” Troye looked embarrassed, “I mean I dragged you both here and now I’m ruining the whole thing.”

            “Don’t be stupid. If you don’t want to do this we can just do something else.”

            “But I want to do it. I just want to do it and have fun like everyone else!”

            “Everyone else has fears, Troye boy.”

            “You faced your fears Con, there’s video proof of it.”

            Connor sighed, remembering how scared he had been to do that tarantula video.

            “But I was with Tyler. Even if we’re not on great terms right now he’s still one of my closest friends, and I knew he wouldn’t laugh at me or do anything too extreme. That made it much less terrifying.” Connor grinned at Troye, “I mean I still had nightmares for a week, but I let a giant spider walk on me. Do you think I could have done that on my own, without someone I trusted?”

            Troye looked thoughtful and said nothing for a minute, finally breaking the silence by standing and taking a deep breath.

            “Okay, let’s do this.”

            “Are you sure?”

            Troye reached out and gripped Connor’s hand tightly.

            “I trust you.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

So I was watching the video Troye filmed in Tyler’s house, and he said he was scared of heights, so it gave me this idea. I’ll be posting the next full chapter tomorrow, hopefully early. Thanks for reading!!:)