Chapter 15

Troye practically skipped into their hotel room, balancing two overpriced lattes in one hand so that he could browse Tumblr with the other.

            “Congrats, Connie Frannie!” he announced, looking up from his screen to set the drinks down and peck Connor on the cheek.

            “Mmm, thanks.” Connor said, gratefully inhaling the drink. “Wait, what are you talking about? What’d I do?”

            Troye rolled his eyes sarcastically at Connor’s obliviousness, “You hit four million subs on Youtube! How did you not know this? Babe, I’m so proud of you.”

            Connor laughed. It was a nice surprise, actually, a fucking amazing surprise. He had been sure his subscriber count would take a hit after he came out, but the video was one of his most viewed and launched him right over that four million threshold. Of course, it always felt good to have people responding positively your content, but to know it stemmed from one of the scariest moments in his life made it feel even better.

            Troye beamed with pride. They were both just at the beginning. He could feel it. 2015 was going to be a great year for them, both separately and together.  Troye was about to start working with the Broods, one of his favorite bands. They were stupidly talented, and it was more than a little surreal. Although he thought Connor was possibly even more excited than he was. Troye had been sure that long distance was going to be their roadblock, but Connor didn’t seem to care how much plane trips cost or how long the flights were. He remembered how on the flight over to New Zealand, they were both a little tipsy off in-flight sparkling wine and the late hour, and he asked Connor why he was doing it. Why was he doing all this, going out of his way and wasting his time, just to see him? Connor had turned his head and stared at Troye for a while, searching his eyes for something Troye couldn’t figure out, before saying, only slightly above a whisper, “I don’t care about the flights or money, Tro. I want to be with you, so I’ll run to you, wherever you are.”

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

            “Are you nervous?” Connor asked half-seriously.

            They were walking through Sydney airport again – they spent so much time there they could’ve found their way through it blindfolded – casually bumping their hands together and brushing against each other, wary of fan sightings.

            Troye just laughed, Connor was freaking out plenty for him. “Are you nervous, Connie?”

            “They’re the Broods! They’re like musical geniuses.” He exclaimed. “Of course, you are too. Whatever you guys create is going to be so magical I cry.”

            Troye grinned, “I’m afraid they’re going to think I’m so lame.”

            “How could they? You’re like the definition of “cool”. Weave them some bracelets with your toes Troye Boy. Then they can really see how hip you are.” Connor teased.

            “How dare you. My toe-weaving is very impressive.” Troye said, poking Connor in the side.

            “Oh, I know. I already have two, remember? They stopped me at security and accused me of wearing gang symbols because you managed to match the colors to a few prominent Australian criminal groups.”

            “You picked the colors Con-con. There’s no one to blame but yourself.”

            “For what? Falling for a color-blind Aussie with a predilection for twisting string around his toes?”

            “Yes.”

            “Well at least I have them to remind me of you while you’re gone.”

            Troye turned away. Every time they reunited it got harder to say goodbye again. Connor was staying in Sydney for while because he loved the city and wanted to see if he could get some work done, whereas Troye was leaving to meet the Broods and see if he could finish his album. He sighed. He didn’t want to leave Connor’s side, but he needed to write a song that wasn’t about him. For the sake of diversity, and to preserve some semblance of mystery surrounding them. It was getting hard to keep things private, not just in terms of practicality, but also mentally. Troye knew it was unfair, but he hated not being able to fully express his feelings. He wanted to grab Connor and kiss him in front of everyone, without caring about what they thought, but everything was kept in the shadows. Connor tried not to even look at him in public for fear of giving it away. Troye kicked himself for every video they were in where he couldn’t stop himself from touching and constantly glancing at the other boy. He wasn’t sure how much longer he could keep it a secret.

            Connor brushed his hand against Troye’s, and kept walking.

To make one person the center of your world is bound to end in disaster. There are too many factors outside your control.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'm the worst at sticking to my own rules :(, sorry I'm not updating as often